GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
SUNTOU TOURAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:51:11 +0000
Dr jaiteh ,that is good sense of humour.going nuclear is scary considering the occupier of our country's highest office.

Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:   Kambya going Nukular? That would be something no one can beat!

Happy MLK day to all.

Malanding

President Jammeh Announces Discovery of Uranium, Others
As Carnegie Minerals' Deadline Gets Extended
Monday 21st January 2008

President Yahya Jammeh last Friday announced the discovery of Uranium
and four other minerals in the country. The other minerals are
Titanium, Iron, Zirconium, and Silicon.

Below is the full text of the president's announcement:

Fellow Gambians, first of all I want to congratulate you on the
occasion of Yowmul Ashura, which is the Islamic New year. I also want
to thank you for the massive show of support and solidarity yesterday
for the first anniversary of major breakthrough. If you remember a few
years ago, when I was announcing the discovery of oil in The Gambia,
at that time I remember telling you Gambians and non-Gambians alike in
this country that Gambia has strategic mineral resources which then I
said I was not going to announce but later on at the right moment we
will tell you what some of the minerals are. Today am very happy to
announce to you that we have discovered proven reserves of titanium in
the Gambia. The Americans call it tai-ta-nium. We also have iron in
the country. We also have zirconium, as well as silicon. But the
biggest discovery is the discovery of uranium in The Gambia. The
presence of uranium in The Gambia. At that time we couldn't make such
announcements, not that because I was not certain about it, but
because before we make such important announcements we have take care
of our security and defence to put in a mechanism that can defend this
country effectively. Not that at that time we couldn't defend our
country as required, but since some of the minerals are of strategic
importance, we are to make sure that we have put in a mechanism that
can defend this country's sovereignty effectively. On this very joyous
moment of Yowmul Ashura and the discovery of these strategic minerals.
I would repeat, TITANIUM, IRON, ZIRCONIUM, SILICON and URANIUM.

Of course I have more surprises for you later in the year, but I want
to make sure that whatever I pronounce is a reality. As far as we are
concerned, these minerals I have talked about, we are 100 percent
certain that they are in this country and they can be exploited. On
this note I wish you a happy Yowmal Ashura.

These minerals can be useful; they can also be useless, God forbid.
They can only be useful if we Gambians close ranks and work as
Gambians. Change our attitude, love each other and defend our country
to the last person. Of course we have divergence of political views,
but that should not translate into enmity and hostility

between us. Gambia will be a great super power as I told you, if we
work together. Not a military super power, that is not a super power.
That is a super bully. I'm talking of a super power of hope for
humanity, super power of love, a country where all people,
irrespective of their race, their religion or origin can live together
in peace as the Almighty Allah wants His creation to live together in
peace. We can achieve that. In fact we are achieving that but we can
go to the sky if we want to if we all change our attitude and work for
the interest of our country, for our own interest.

When these minerals are exploited, you cannot imagine the number of
youth that are going to be employed, but you the youth of these
country who will be the primary beneficiaries of all these discoveries
must change your attitude, must look inwards and not outwards. There
is no country where you can earn money easily without working. Even
stealing is working because you end up going to jail where you work
harder for nothing. Let us love one another, let us respect our
country, live and die for our country. I wish you all the best.

In a separate but related development, the Office of the President
also extended the deadline for Carnegie Minerals to explain their
operations in The Gambia to today, 21st January by 1400hrs. The
release explained that the concerned company has already been duly
notified and that the consequences of their failure to comply would
include the cancellation of their mining license, in addition to "more
stringent measures."

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい