GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 15:02:55 +0000
"Movement for restoration of democracy in Gambia [NY]" Wrote:

"Gassa, you're so insincere and sick to continue questioning the answers
given by victims of such brutish regimes. Even though you addressed him, Pap
Saine, father in law, are you still happy that he was sent to jailed on many
occasions for the same issues being debated here, to which you're still in
denial to. Since you seemed unenlightened but continuously stupid and
confrontational, why not have the decency and take some history [past and
present] lesson from your well respected Pap Saine".

Since the author of the above statements did not have the courage to own up
to the above and sign his/her name, but chose to send the above trash in the
name of the movement, my reply will also be directed to the movement.
However before doing so, I wish to state that my opinion of debates of this
nature is that they encourage the exchange of ideas such that differences of
opinions can be narrowed to a point where, despite the absence of a total
agreement, each would have understood the other's possition. However that
will not be possible in the absense of good faith, the willingness to learn
from each other and to accept the truth when it is made glaringly obvious.

For your information, my reference to Pap Saine in my reply to Mr. Hydara
was to extend new year greetings to him and the rest of the Point staff and
their families as well as to congratulate them on their recent anniversary.
Nowhere did I say/write that I was happy that he was arrested on many
occasions. Refering to him as my father inlaw is because I am married to his
elder brother's daughter but has very little or no relevance to the debate.
Like I said before my reference to him was only to extend new year greetings
to him and staff of The Point newspaper and their families as well as to
congratulate them on the recent anniversary of the Point.

Finally, unless you have facts to contribute to our current debate, I
implore you to keep your peace until Mr. Hydara and I conclude this debate.
He is a seasoned journalist who has practised journalism during the first
republic and continues to practise it during the second republic. I am sure,
by the end of the day, we all be a little wiser. If you also think that I
have a problem with "WANNABE MARTYRS" as you coined it, then you need to
have your head examined. As for my future date with the NIA, rest assured
that that date is most unlikely; but should it happen, it will only be like
visiting the dentist, a mere incovenience.

Have a good day, Gassa.