GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ceesay, Soffie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:13:24 -0700
Sister Jabou, thank you.  I agree with you.  Those aspects of 'Maslaha' which are detrimental to our lives and livelihood, like many of our other harmful traditions, has to be done away with by pre-emption.  My concern is when we start to label each other with that which we are not, because of how we might have come across on this medium, our effectiveness in our fight against the tyranny becomes weakened.  Use of tribe for personal gain is what's happening, this is Yaya's game and Gambia's problem.  Unfettered sycophancy, which has side-lined tribe, is Gambia's problem.  It becomes our problem when we do not see it for what it is being used for, and counter that vigorously by foiling his sinister plan.  How do we do that - Transforming how we think and how others who make thoughtless comments think, through civil dialogue; questionning ourselves about our "forgna dehs" and make attempts
to "hamm" and ask when we do not; and come together to forge the necessary plan to help Gambia.  It is wrong and dangerous to single out the Jolas to vent our anger and frustrations at, for the mis-deeds of a leech who after sucking you dry, hand you over to be fried.  I am asking that for this fight, let us join hands, hearts, and minds.  Let us deal with the issue of tribalism in the country on it's own.

Soffie