GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gambia Talk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:13:26 -0400
Folks:

We are all stunned by the images in the media showing the aftermath of
Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.
Efforts to rescue those still trapped by the flooding, providing
sustenance to those who are completely without and working to restore life
in the affected areas to some sense of normalcy are under way.  Although
local, state and federal government efforts are in operation,
non-governmental organizations - NGO's - are also in action and are
critical to relief efforts.  Short of traveling to the affected areas and
volunteering to help, individual donations to relief agencies are probably
the best way for any of us to help our fellow human beings in this time of
extreme need.

In that vein, I have listed below a few of the agencies involved in
Katrina relief efforts that are highly rated for their financial efficency
by Charity Navigator. I am listing the web sites of these organizations as
a potential target for your individual/family contribution or as a
starting point for research to an organization of your choice if you have
not already identified one.  Charity Navigator is an excellent source to
research legitimate and financially efficient organizations dedicated to
relief efforts.

American Red Cross - www.redcross.org
American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals - www.aspca.org
AmeriCares - www.americares.org