GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
george sarr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 14:38:37 PST
Folks, when it's all said and done , all of us are in the same boat. Now, am
not an expert in Politics or should I say "Poli-TRicKs", BUT I will refuse to
be fooled by any politician irregardless of their statue or acolades.I'll be
fooled ONLY if the proof's in the pudding. People want to see results not
promises. So where do we want to be ,TODAY?
   Let's all work for the common good and embrace one another. Let's put aside
indifferences, put an end to abuse of power, and understand that not everyone
is as fortunate as the very few. We may disgree on some issues but there is
one issue that we all can agree on and that this : Gambia can do better. So
why not focus on the one thing we all agree on. Let's find ways, means to make
the country that is rightfully ours the promise land.
  From my perspective and the few of others, a lot of time is spent on the
List dwelling on personal combats from individuals who we perceive to know
better but who are often times engrossed with misconceived intellect, for
their lack to control their egos and sentiments. Now, imagine how much we can
accomplish if we concentrate on the one thing that is affecting every single
Gambian out there; the one thing that only matters.
  See, a thought without any action is merely a dream.It's time to wake up
brothers and sisters. It is a new millenium and progress is NOT measured
backwards. It's time to eradicate complacency.Be innovators,optimists,
patriots, freedom fighters NOT segregationists,egomaniacs,self-centered
perpertrators. Most of us know better. Am sure we don't lack qualified
citizens, you guys are out there. But unless you come out of that complacent
mind-set, we will continue to enslave ourselves and deprieve of possibilities
thereof.
  For the likes of the Halifas and CO., no one should stop you guys for
fighting against injustice, governement corruption and the rest that seem
to go with the territory. However, am not so sure you could impress or fool
people on this List about what is actually more important to focus on. Sure
the debates were often interesting, insightful but misguided by for the lack
of a better word "WHAH JU BA-RI". No disrespect intended but speaking for a
lot of people, folks want to see things getting done..too many promises, so
many been said and a little been done. Unless you a Leader,a man of great
influence, a man of great principles but more importantly a man who stood for
the prosperity of the people, then kudos my friend. Be my hero.
  In short, ladies and gentlemen, let's work together. You know the great
African Proverb "It takes a village to raise a child", well how come we
sometimes don't practice what we preach. Having said , I am seeking answers to
these questions:

Q1. Since quite a number of Gambians are in the diaspora, is it possible
for those of us to vote while abroad?And how?

Q2. I think a lot of people abroad don't even know who to vote for to begin
with and since this is true, who would make an ideal candidate to win our
votes?

Q3.  As ESSA THOMAS suggested why don't each one of us come up with some real
issues affecting us today, and let's give them not only some thought but
figure out solutions. I think it is a great start.

Q4.Last, To Halifa : what realy is your position?
                    A. A Politician seeking office
                    B. A Freedom fighter willing to risk it all
                    C. A mawlid with inconceivable ideals
                    D. An instigator - the average JOE