GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Suntou Touray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:28:07 -0400
this message will be very short. most of us here will hardly think of marrying a
second wife but many of our brothers in the Gambia are practically taking two
and three wives without thinking deeply about the consiquencies of having
two human being as your partner.

the responsibility to have two ground up individuals entrusted to you by
themselfs and there parents is very enormous. brothers easily take the cheap
option of sighting islam allowabilty of the neccisity to marry up to four wives
but do this brothers take a good look at the quranic verses allowing this very
delicate matter ? if they do , the very common mistreatment of the first wife
will never happen or it will be very minimal . yes islam permit men who believe
they can afford to have more than one wife to marry two ,three or four . but
the underlying message is marry only one if you fear that you cannot act
justly between the wives. why that underlying injuction ? simple ,Allah those
not borden any one with whatever he/she cannot bear . the issue of falling
foul of the trust is the key issue , men will be ok with the first wive untill they
encounter another option ,then they will act if the first wive is not alive.
the reason we say men can do it is religion yet what lies after betraying
Allah's trust we don't want to think about that . the punishment for
mistreating one's wive is very grave let alone surpassing your wives ahead of
each other in the open .
i am only reminding myself and brothers to be careful before getting into
tempting situations with the many pretty faces in our offices and streets in
banjul to serrekunda only to make a promise that you are not prepared for.
our first wife's most of the time stood by us in difficult times and in good times
so lets remember what we all went through . many may say what am i on
about ? but i will say islam is about reminding each other as brothers and
sisters. if we abandon reminding one another then the satan will be our
advicers .
i am not in theory against men marrying a second wife but think about the
responsibilities ahead and the demands you will have to fulfill. many think first
about pleasure side of things but if one handle the situation wrongly that
pleasure turns more bitter than talo .

finally we will be held accountable for our trust or amana .whatever we are
entrusted with be it
wife ,children ,property ,authority ,opinion ,health ,beauty ,fame ,husband ,etc
 we will be accountable for it all . no amount of redicule or education will
prevent us from meeting our maker .many are doing just that dayly .it is
estimated that every three second two people died and three are born . who's
turn will be next we don't know. may God guide us.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい