GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:44:10 EDT
I have read your postings with interest and I want to set the record
straight and state here that I share the same democratic ideals you have.
For the record, before anyone sent a posting advocating for the appointment
of an independent prosecutor (preferably a human rights activist from
outside The Gambia) to prosecute the perpetrators of the atrocities of April
10, I was sending emails to the list for the appointment of such an
attorney. I believe in democracy and the rule of law. At the same time, am
not insensitive to the glaring plight of the Gambians and the seeming
hopelessness of trying to get rid of Yaya through the ballot box. I do not
think that  (for lack of a better characterization) the Colly camp and your
camp are mutually exclusive. But rest assured that the same kind of
detractors that tried to pit Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. against Malcolm X
would try to convince you otherwise. Nelson Mandela was not a bad person
because he advocated violence against Apartheid. In fact, he engaged in
violent acts against the South African regime. Today, he is a hero
throughout the world. Violence in this context is not the end game as it is
right now in The Gambia. It is a means to an end (restoration of democracy
in The Gambia). All I am trying to say is, drastic actions call for drastic
reactions. Believe me, I would be the first one on Colly's or anybody else's
back if they get rid of Yaya and don't want to return the country to
democracy. Yaya should be removed by any means necessary. You don't have to
agree with Colly .....but he does not deserve denunciation from you either
... not yet.