GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
suntou touray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:59:19 +0000
Demba
My belief is that, you as a long standing activist and media
practioner is best suited to understand that, politics is a fluid
game. A day is a long time in politics, let a lone a week or year. Who
would have thought the fallen Arab authoucrats will be forgotten
today?
Therefore, I say let us the few activitst be optimist enough to
understand the landscape the opposition is operating in. It is quiet
frankly very easy to level blame and list areas they should improve,
however, since this is a struggle that, the opposition don't have a
higher stakes than us, we can therefore all get in contact with them,
advising on further things they can do to forge ahead.
Boycotting the election is a symbol by itself even if they don't do
anything else. What happen in 2001 cannot happen today, the time lag
alone is too much in politics.
The Gambia has too few genuine individuals who are getting involve to
make the opposition consolidate their efforts. Yes, the opposition
should have read the ECOWAS message well, which was 'don't bother with
the system in place'. However, they went ahead to test the waters,
although the outcome was predictable, now they have the chance to do
something significant.

The opposition can do many things, however, operating an opposition
party requires funding and logistics. Now, if we put our own Diaspora
house in order, I mean all of the activist community, opening up a
line of communication and then channeling our advise and when it
matter resources to frustrate the dictator is what will be the core
ingredient going ahead, not blaming them for the past.
We have all done enough blaming and pessimist commentaries, but as
Gambians we need to see ourselves as a problem community. The
opposition is a part and percel of that problem. Let us now then find
more solutions, let us have more credible players, let us have more
direct involvement and then see how thing pan out.

The current opposition leaders are all in transition (Ousainou and
Sedia, femi, Syngle, Ebou Manneh, Sam Sarr, Momodou Sanneh, Halifa etc
are all done their best) new leaders and players will emmerge. Hence,
the stance of boycott is a plausible one and we should all be
encouraging the efforts and tune down the discourgaing sentiments.
Thanks
Suntou

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい