GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ansumana Kujabi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:26:06 -0000
EBRIMA:

As always, your 24 hour presence on the Forum has immensely produced
tangible results thus far. Together with KB, COLLY, HAMJATTA and SAUL KHAN,
you have now significantly shifted the debate from PALAVER to a decent
INTELLECTUAL DISCOURSE once again; and I do hope that such a SERENE and
TRANQUIL atmosphere will persist to prevail for a long haul. With the
questions you have challenged "JOBE" to respond positively, I hope that the
other side of the ISLE will allow your diplomatic approach to bear fruit.
During the course of volatile exchanges with the other side of the ISLE, we
have witnessed the emergence of TWO DISTINCT camps: First, one camp which
values intellectual discourse profoundly and approach intellectual
discussion with HONESTY and INTEGRITY, and sense of FAIRNESS, without regard
to personality. In addition, in camp A, the rule of Law and human decency
are second to none. Second, in camp B, deception, division, insults or
personal attacks are the order of the day. And members in camp B always
approach debates, moronically, causing palaver and total misrepresentation.

Ebrima, my chief concern is whether "JOBE" will take the bull by its horn
and volunteer to honestly answer your questions. Or will he be sincere in
answering your important questions. Talking to someone who knew "JOBE" best
during his early days at ACTION AID, "JOBE" loved intellectual discourse,
and used to engage people in intellectual discussions, particularly on
governance. I understand he used to ridicule the Jawara government for What
he used to term as their bourgeois life style and insincerity. According to
this fellow, "JOBE" used to wear his traditional dress most often, because
he considered his tribal dress code as exercising sincerity and simplicity
as opposed to the lavished Western life style. The fellow added that "JOBE"
used to carry tons of huge text books with him to where ever he went, and
ready always to debate. "JOBE"'s most lively place to debate used to be at
the famous KG 5 ARENA on Hagan Street, right opposite his Action Aid. This
Arena used to have very competitive "Naawetan" Soccer matches; and whiles
watching Naawetan matches where groups of Muslim High School students used
to gather around him, "JOBE" used to delved into Marxism and Leninism. But
now, it seems that that "JOBE" students used to know has metamorphized into
a different "JOBE".

But in any case, since he loves intellectual discourse, he is far much
better debater than the other moronic brains out there, whose only style is
confrontational. The problem "JOBE" faces is that since he once deviated
from his boss' strategic plan of confrontation, and even at one point whiles
cornered, admitted that Government bears responsibility for the student
massacre. But, he may shun from honestly answering your questions this time
around. In fact I am fearing that he might pay a price for his one time
admittance, whiles cornered. Any way, my brother, good luck to you.

Ansumana.