GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:08:31 +0000
Dampha,

Ex-president Jawara's security in The Gambia will only become an issue if
and when he is allowed to return home. His recent pronouncement that he is
willing to come back home to lead the opposition, if they so desire, knowing
full well that he is not elligible to stand for election, in order to help
us get rid of "this dictatorship", will certainly not help his case to
return home. To me, it would have made more sense if he instead engaged the
government constructively, in order for him to come and spend the rest of
his days in peaceful retirement. If that were the case, the onus would have
been on the government to provide with all the security and protocol
befitting a former head of state. If he expects to be given a red carpet
welcome and inspect a guard of honour, then he is dreaming. Any right
thinking man would realise that no amount of pressure or threats will
prevail on this government to allow him to come back home unconditionally
while the APRC is still in power.

As for the impact of his association with the opposition, particluarly the
UDP, my instincts tell me that it will be counter productive. His mis-rule,
refusal to willingly relinquish power when he had the chance, coupled with
the rampant corruption that he presided upon whilst in power is only too
fresh in the minds of many Gambians. It will also give credense to the claim
by some that the UDP is a party of disgruntled elements whose main agenda is
for the restoration of the PPP olygarchy. This view can be further supported
by the recent appointment to the PPP interim committee of Shyngle Nyassi
while still retaining his leadership of the UDP Youthwing.

These are my views on the "comeback kid".

Have a good day, Gassa.