GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:39:58 EST
Prince,
 A good and interesting question you posed. The term "International
Community" is a post modern buzz phrase meaning the WEST. .....UMMM stretch
it a bit further it means to refer to those Peoples of lighter skin at least
at any rate Peoples of Caucasian origins or of similitude. Believe me in
reality there is nothing like an "International Community" only "Interest
Communities" at least literally. My interpretation surely and wholly.......
Interestingly enough, Kofi Annan certainly believes there is a thing like the
"International Community," in an article he wrote for Newsweek Magazine's
millennium special edition. He said then that: "Some people say the
international community is only a fiction. Others say it is too elastic a
concept to have any real meaning.  Some say there are no internationally
recognised norms, goals or fears on which to base such a community. Op-ed
pages refer routinely to the "so-called" international community. I believe
these skeptics are wrong. The international community DOES exist. It has an
address. It has achievements to it's credits."
    I guess by skeptics, he refers to the likes of me. But to be perfectly
honest with you, the phrase "International Community" is one of those much
abused and maligned phrases that has found themselves mainstream.
Have a good day.

Hamjatta Kanteh

Hamjatta Kanteh
hkanteh