GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebba Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:23:32 -0000
Saul,

You wrote:

". Now, given that you've metamorphosed from being "a concerned civil
servant" to being the APRC's main mouth-piece on G-L, could you at least
venture to tell us who ordered the shooting of the kids."

I have not metamorphosed from a concerned civil servant to a spokesman of
the APRC. The views I've expressed are purely mine. To answer your question,
I personally believe that as commander in chief the president must have
given the order to shoot or his VP, Mrs. Isatou Njie Saidy, as Ag. Commander
in chief then.

You again wrote:

"It's universally recognized that for there to be genuine reconciliation,
perpetrators of crimes must own up to their acts and express remorse to
their victims. To this point, your govt has refused to take responsibility
for the crimes for which you're seeking national
reconciliation. Many of us find that to be very strange I believe all
fair-minded people will recognize that revelation to be a great starting
point for a much needed "national reconciliation."

I cannot agree with you more on this. Yesterday's BBC interview of the
spokesman of the national coalition of human rights or whatever the name is,
put it very clearly just like you have done. If I can recall, he asked "how
can you forgive if the wrong done to you has not been acknowledged? How can
you forgive when you don't know who wronged you and by extension who do you
forgive". He also asked why give out a blanket amnesty without first
prosecuting those found to have been responsible and expect genuine
reconcialition. In conclusion he said that it would have made more sence if
those implicated were first prosecuted, convicted and later pardoned. I
share these views also.

Confusing? NO, you shouldn't be. The stance I have taken is due to some very
inciting comments and indecent language that some people seem to think will
earn them support or respect. This current hulla-baloo was triggered by my
suggestion that the opposition lost of the kiang by-elections had more
ramifications than vote buying. I went all out to show that the outcome of
the election showed that for the UDP (with NRP support), to have won by a
SINGLE VOTE required a voter turnout of no less than 93%. This I said was an
uphill task for the UDP. If for them to regain their seat in a constituency
considered by many as safe, they needed a voter turnout of not less than
93%.I suggested that the UDP rethink its strategy and review the issues they
raised during the by elections. No sooner did I post that, the household
cavalry came after me baying for my blood.

I am of the opinion that to have any meaningful debate about issues that
affect our people, we must be tolerant and listen carefully to other
epople's views to know how they think. Howevever when that degenerates to
scorn or downright vulgarity or personalization of issues, then everything
becomes cloudy. In his latest post, Dampha intimated that people should not
expext Sedat Jobe et al to come to the L and defend the APRC as I am doing
now. To some extent, I believe he is right. I am a person who has to be
CONVINCED and NOT PERSUADED to tow any line. Sentiments mean very little to
me when it comes to debating issues.

Bye 4Now, KB Jobe.