GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Emmanuel N'Dow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 20:17:43 PST
Katim, thanks for your clarification; I've been following the debate
surounding this very sensitive issue and the beligerant tone it took.
 "Our community, which comprises members of many faiths, strives for an
openness which is wholly directed to all that is true, all that deserves
respect, all that is honest, pure, admirable, decent, virtuous or worthy of
praise. Thus, the university is a place where the church reflects upon itself
and the world as it engaages in dialogue with other traditions"

It seems to me if St. Johns belieives in the above quotes, then they must not
have any misgivings about religious posting on the net. Religion is part and
parcel of our culture be you muslim or christian. I also think that Katim's
directives were meant as a pre-emptive move, anticipating the university's
concern. Yes St. Johns is a chatholic institution and if they really believe
in what they said about respecting other people's traditions, then the
religious postings on the L should not bother them.There's nothing wrong in
posting information about Islamic happinings or a reminder of what we learn at
the "DARA" back home. As a christian, all the posting I've seen about Islam ON
THE l, is mere reaffermation of ones faith and tradition. Who among us is
without family members who  are either chritian or Muslim. What is disturbing
is the intemperance in language being hauled at each other.
Katim, when you confer  with you contact at St. Johns, please imform us.
Guys remember we're all Gambians, whether ones parents was born in Gambia or
not.
Daddy Sang