GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
RENBERG ANNIKA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 02:39:58 +0100
Indeed sad news!

I had the privilege of meeting with Mr Dixon Colley first time in 1987 but already since in the beginning of the 80's I enjoyed reading his newspaper "The Nation" and throughout the years I collected as many issues I could lay hands on. To me Mr Colley personified the true journalism and always kept his integrity and pride.

Many are the young journalists who got their first taste and knowledge of the work in his office at Tobacco Road and I have also spent hours there enjoying his wisdom and good advice.

In 1993 Mr Colley also participated as a special adviser at the founding meeting of Boka Loho Organisation of The Gambia and even published the news in one of his very last issues of The Nation. Even due his body became very fragile during the last years, his mind was still OK and until the end he was well aware of both development and constraints of the organisation that both Mr and Mrs Colley always took a great interest in.

Mr Colley and his newspaper has had a great impact on the Gambian society and contributed sincerely to the development of The Gambia. May his soul rest in eternal peace.

I will certainly miss him and I know that it is a feeling I share with my husband, Dumo Sarho.

Annika Renberg
(Sweden)