GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:25:15 EDT
With the NewYork based organizations actively working on doing the groundwork
needed to stage a demonstration for the upcoming trip of Yahya Jammeh to the
United Nations, we must all as concerned people with substantial grievances
against this evil man put all our engagements aside and throng to Newyork .
Yes it would mean folks would have to take a day or two off work and school
and throng to the venues were Yahya is going to be on September 7 and 8. It
will also mean traveling hundreds of miles across these United States from
Gambian populated centers like the metro DC area, North Carolina and Atlanta.
Let us throng in buses or anyother means of transportation and for once do
the right thing in standing up to evil. The metro Dc area where I live has
several charter bus companies that run daily routes to Newyork. I will
enquire from them and transmit my findings to folks willing to make the trip.
The last time he was in DC he made it a point to lie to his teeth about how
great and benevolent a leader he was, but we made sure folks in his hotel and
the only other public event he attended knew exactly the illegitimate and
evil leader he was. I can tell you that Yahya Jammeh is not remotely
considered a respected leader of a country in United Nations. He is only
there because he can show up like anyother third rate dictator able to manage
a plane ride to NewYork. Our presence would greatly buttress the murderous
nature of his regime. We have a little over two weeks to make the
arrangements needed to be in Newyork. We all have a responsibility to
confront the epitome of a regime that is actively employing murder, terror
and stoking civil strife all in a bid to literally enslave a population
unwilling to cede to his evil designs. While I can safely say the majority of
the thousands of Gambians would probably not make it  to Newyork come
September 7, I am confident a sufficient number would show up to make sure
the world is reminded once again that a creul tyrant is passing himself up as
a leader of the good people of Gambia.
 The best way to mobilize people is to quickly establish a telephone number
and contact person in each jurisdiction so that there is a clear sense of the
number of people committed to making the trip. This would help the contact
person make the appropriate transport arrangement since the bus companies
would need specifics like time and numbers of people to schedule a trip.
Volunteers would also have to be on the phone to let people know because some
of our people have thoroughly tuned out Gambia and events associated with it.
I would suggest that by Sept 2 the folks in Newyork be in a position to know
the number of people coming from each area via the contact people . Even
folks who would drive their own vehicles can just inform the contact person
in their area. This would ensure an orderly demonstration that is coordinated
to start ontime and achieve it's objectives to the fullest. So let us begin
in earnest. I will take it upon myself to talk to the various organizations
out here in the metro DC area in a bid to quickly establish a contact person
and number from amongst them. I hope we can do the same in other areas.

Karamba