GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:38:07 +0100
Alpha,

I really wanted to address all the mails yesterday. I owe responses to
Sister Fatou Jaw Manneh, Bamba Laye and others. However, work has caught up
with me again. I may be able to address these mails only on Thursday. We are
currently working on our newspaper for Thursday's publication.

It is, however, necessary to bring to your notice that your role as one of
the  coordinators of the April 10/11 Support Group is very crucial. Once
such a task is taken, one must put oneself above some of these
contradictions in the L.

I do appreciate the fact that you had to defend your own integrity by
clarifying issues. In my view, if you pardon me to express it, you could
have simply taken exception of what Cherno Baba had said and state your
opinion on the alternative to the debate.

We are of the view that if Mboge can still organise a symposium where
everybody will be invited to pose any question they wish, the purpose can
still be served. My trip to America was an eye opener. The distortions were
in the extreme. In fact in New York a critic came to the meeting purposely
to prove certain notions which had been engrained in the minds of many
people. After I protested vigorously against the attempt of the people to
shout him down, I came to learn about his true intentions. This is why we
have decided to open up the website.

In fact Saul has mentioned my discussion with a lady in Washington. I was
more a listener after inviting her to come to the lecture at Howard
University where I had intention to clarify all issues. I must say the
information gathered from her prepared me adequately not only for the New
York meeting, but for my Radio 1 interview in The Gambia since even leading
politicians in the opposition who went to America also engaged in distorting
PDOIS' strategies, tactics and programmes.

We are of the view that a party must have an internal, as well as an
external personality. A gathering in Britain, if put in audio and video
cassettes, could serve to clarify many issues for Gambians everywhere.

There was no need to refer Cherno Baba back to his comments. He feels that
my objective is to put feet in mouths. Clearly, I have been attending
thousand and one public fora and I cannot remember anybody ever witnessing
such fora ending in chaos. I would be the worst criminal on earth just to be
part of a debate for egotistical calculations.

I would accept his criticism that I did display some form of intellectual
arrogance when I started exchanges with him. He must also accept that he did
not show much decency as manifested by his choice of words. Notwithstanding,
I believe all of us learnt useful lessons and I will be more than happy to
engage in any constructive dialogue.

You may speak to Mboge who is a man of conscience. He has written to me
thousand and one apologies. He really has a greater conscience than I have.
May be after stepping on so many toes, I  could not see why he feels so
badly about what has transpired so far. This is a good sign though. It only
shows that a new culture is emerging among members of your generation. If we
are like Mboge and hate to offend anyone without cause, constructive
engagement would be the basis of our relation. When that happens, the people
and democracy will be the winners.

Keep me informed of any decisions as quickly as possible. I have to schedule
all my programmes before the end of this month.

Greetings.

Halifa.

NOTE: I would want you or any Gambian to take this matter up. There are
thousand and one things to be done and the same people cannot do all the
things that have to be done. Since day one of the coup, I felt that Gambia
needed some truthful and credible persons who would be like judges who may
have their personal political choices but will be willing to stand above the
different forces and tell truth to everyone without being seen to be biased.

For sometime, I felt that Dr Abdoulie Saine, Dr Amadou Janneh, Dr Sulayman
Nyang, Dr Katim Touray were moving towards that direction. Such persons
would have found it very easy to be supported by international organisations
to visit The Gambia to investigate any critical matter and go back to give
objective assessment to all members of the L and anybody who is interested
in the welfare of this country.When I was in Washington I met Dr Sidia
Jammeh and Dr Tijan Sallah of the World Bank who also showed keen interest
in what was happening in The Gambia.

These are all forces that could be mobilised to promote greater
understanding of what is happening here and what could be done. There are
many things that we publish regarding human rights and better governance
environment. Others do the same thing. Instead of mere condemnation in the
L, such people who may not be just politically motivated in favour of PDOIS,
UDP, NRP could have written properly framed petitions to call for justice to
be done.

Let me just an example. The following case was published in our 10-14 August
2000 issue:

"HABIB BAH'S NEPHEW CALLS FOR HIS TRIAL OR RELEASE

"A young man by the name of Lamin Gaye approached FOROYAA to report that
since 1997 his uncle, Habib Bah, had been detained and taken to court only
once but that the trial did not proceed.

Lamin indicated that their family went through very serious crisis whilst
most of them were too young to be able to to manage their affairs; that
their mother started to rely mainly on Habib Bah in order to meet the needs
of the family.

Lamin explained that his mother, who is a sister to Habib, has been renting
and now owes more than D5000 as unpaid rents; that he as a young man briefly
had a job in a hotel but had not been made redundant. He feels that
something should be done to try his uncle or release him so that the family
will be able to benefit from his generous assistance.

Upon receiving this information, FOROYAA contacted the Solicitor General and
Legal Secretary. We have since been told that an investigation has been
launched to find the names of those who have been detained without
continuation of their trials. We are told that Habib has been mentioned to
be among the list." (end)

It would have been very easy for such groups to take up such matters and
promote justice. I would like to get the opinion of some of the people who
have been mentioned on this issue.

As far as PDOIS is concerned, we will deeply appreciate the establishment of
such councils of wise men and women who would be willing to tell PDOIS, UDP,
NRP, APRC where they have gone wrong and call anyone to order without fear
or favour, affection or ill-will.

Greetings.

Halifa.