GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 09:02:29 GMT
Ebou,

I agree with you that as of now, we have a more pressing issue at hand, but
when you make statements like: "G-L has a lot to talk about than a mere $3M,
that Jammeh himself used to fulfil his illegal transactions of
counterfeiting US Dollar bills" you make it impossible for some of us to
ignore you. $3M is 30 Million Dalasi! Used peoperly, that could translate
into tangible development for the Gambian people. So, do not down-play the
significance of $3M in a country where the average person makes only $360 a
year. I find your statement arrogant and totally repulsive! Just because you
were handling millions of (looted?) dollars for Yaya Jammeh for a year or so
on a daily basis doesn't mean that many Gambians are so lucky.

Also, Peter Sanyang seems to be getting too emotional about it, but he's
onto something here. Just because we want Yaya Jammeh out doesn't mean
everybody is invited to the party. Yes, there are/were good and decent men
in the GNA. We've heard about the Sam Sarrs, the Cokers, the Kantehs, etc.
And we've heard about the Ebou Jallows. Any truly patriotic Gambian will go
with the former group. Peter's point about how you've defended yourself
against the Yaya Jammeh govt is very valid. It's mind boggling to explain
how a former army Lt. with a monthly salary of $250/$300 (if that much)could
spend tens of thousands of dollars to defend himself in a lawsuit on the
international stage. Where the hell did the money come from Ebou? If you're
so clean, why don't you answer this simple question.

If you want any type of respect from Gambians, you need to come clean
completely: say exactly what happened, and why you did what you did (the
behind-the-scenes wheeling and dealing, the money laundering, etc.) At the
very least, people are bound to respect your integrity. But, when you
respond to comments the way you did to Peter Sanyang, you leave us wondering
what's going on. Simply put, you owe Gambians an apology. Why? Because for
quite a while, you were the mouthpiece of a brutal and repressive govt that
did nothing but harrass, arrest, and torture Gambians, not to talk about
looting public coffers. What is going on now started while Ebou Jallow was
AFPRC spokesman! So, don't pretend this is all new.

In any case, you can engage Gambians now and at the very least attempt to
put your case on the table. Otherwise, you can continue to pretend to be
holy when everybody knows better. Like Peter suggestedd to you, some day,
you'll answer for your role in this gang. So, why not start now when you
have a great opportunity to reach so many Gambians?

Saul.