GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:17:51 EDT

"Haruna: I guess a formal welcome to GAMBIA-L is in  order." JDAM.

Verily Lamin, I will be remiss if I do not thank the coleague/s who  invited
me in their austere company. I am grateful.

"You do have a pretty unique conversational style, and I must admit your
pieces have the capacity to both amuse and educate. And so I'm glad to be
reading you on GAMBIA-L." JDAM.

You're too kind Lamin. It's funny I feel the same way about you and our
coleagues here. I guess one good turn yields another. Thank you all the  same.

"Clearly, your complaints about PDOIS are not practically addressable,  and
having witnessed prior performances of yours on the matter, it appears that
your views are set in stone. Under the circumstances, it is probably prudent to
decline the invitation to convince you about PDOIS." JDAM.

Wait just a friggin minute. If you think you're gonna get off the hook so
easily, you got another thing coming. I have no complaints about PDOIS. I share
my perceptions and opinions of PDOIS because they claim to have the best
interests of my friends and fellow citizens at heart. A few of the friends are
yourself, Joe, Musa Sana, Musa Jeng, Jabou, Alpha, almost ad-infinitum. So I'm
not gonna let them misguide my friends without a fight. If PDOIS takes them
as  complaints, well I guess we're on the right track because ordinarily when
complaints are forwarded to government by 'lesser ctizens', an aim to
mitigate those complaints is afoot. If you believe then that  my concerns are not
practically addressable, are you not in effect  abandoning the cardinal value of
a political party? unless of course the NEW  PDOIS is not a political party.
Besides, our coleague and friend Suntou has  shared that revolving centenary
Gambians have shared those same concerns. Are  you prepared at this juncture to
give up on those centenarians too??? What  grander achievement is there for a
political party than the immunization of  etchings in parchment? That reminds
me, does PDOIS know if the children of  Gambia are properly immunized? Suntou,
I'm coming to golf later, I know you  can't wait. Closet golf-lover. Football
my friggin pinky. By football I take it  you mean soccer? New Gambians!
Lamin, you underestimate me. Remmember I have  been sympathetic to PDOIS' fortunes
in electoral matters once. I did not  withdraw consciousness on fancy and
grafignette. There is hope here. Carpe Diem  honore!

"I  am happy to have persuaded Malanding despite your belated attempt to
muddy the  waters." JDAM.

I  didn't realize you had persuaded Kukeh of anything PDOIS yet. I could be
mistaken. Kukeh don't take the bait. These PDOIS people take us all for
idiots.  Unless Lamin can persuade you publicly here and you acknowledge that here,
I am  not convinced. Besides, they have to persuade me, Suntou, Chongan,
Kanteh,  Jallow, Gassama, Jatta, Joof, Jobe, Bunama, Musa Sana, Joe, Galleh, Bailo,
 Kejau, Baldeh, Bah, Alpha, and all the folk in Texas too. If they think its
been hard for them for the last 20 years, they ain't seen nuttin yet. Let us
hold their worn feet to the fire or they can kiss our votes goodbye. And Sine
 die for our friend Lamin.

"And neither Suntou, nor myself, considers PDOIS as a communist outfit."
JDAM.

I  know. You're in defiant denial. The day you and Suntou come to that
realisation  is the day PDOIS comes off the hinges. That prospect is too heavy a
burden for  the two of you.

"There appears to be some religious zealotry in Suntou if his recent
postings on Ahmadiyya's are anything to go by. In light of the monumental task
facing us as a nation, what with the illegal arrests, detentions, torture, and
unexplained disappearances and deaths, I am not the least concerned about which
religion a fellow Gambian affiliates with." JDAM.

Why  are you following Suntou around men? I like Ahmadiyya you know. Just not
at the  expense of the life of Gambia. Sorry Suntou. You guys are too funny
men.

"I  am happy to have a nonbeliever for President if the person is committed
to the  rule of law." JDAM.

I  agree with you here Lamin. I'm confident Suntou agrees too. Maybe this is
the  only reason Suntou hasn't totally leaned over into the ditch yet. I got
an idea  for you to totally coral Suntou. This one will cost you $1000.00 Lemme
know  Lemme know.

"I  should content myself by informing you that PDOIS is not only the oldest
functional party in Gambia, but also the only party whose leadership are
invited  to share their views about politics with fellow citizens." JDAM.

Keywords Lamin: oldest, functional (merely existing), invited to  share views
about politics with fellow citizens.
Let  us do some Rithmetic. Politics in Gambia happens within a two month
window of  the entire five years. 2 out of 60, that is 3.3%. We assume that when
they are  invited to talk outside that window, they talk about issues other
than politics.  In that window, they need not wait to be invited because they
share the stage  with other parties contesting the same offices. So out of that
2-month window,  their message is disseminated for 1/3 of the value-yield or
33%. PDOIS history  in the polls can be between 2 and 3% of total votes cast.
Let's take the higher  3%. PDOIS' value so far is 3.3x33x3. PDOIS communicates
its message in FOROYAA  and in language that only 1% of gambians can understand
and utilize. We can  extrapolate this datum to the year where 2% of Gambians
will be able to fathom  PDOIS' message and as the Russian Federation and North
Korea move away from  communism. In effect, PDOIS' political value to Gambia
and Gambians is  3.3x33x3x2. I'm not good at math so I don't know what that
translates to.  Besides I shouldn't be giving this information for free because
they're trying  to mislead my friends.

"In  a two-way free and fair electoral contest under a governance system
grounded in  the rule of law, PDOIS of today has the ability to defeat the APRC
nationally."  JDAM.

Lamin, you may be surprised but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this
could be true. It then brings us to the question: Is PDOIS for politics or the
defense of the rule of law, or both? You premised this two-way contested victory
 on the rule of law so I think PDOIS may be better suited to prepare the
requisite rule of law for this eventual victory. This is where you will find the
communist.

"The dominance of the PPP, and now the APRC, has more to do with their
corrupt governance and lawless elections than acceptance by the people, and with
your acumen, I thought appreciating this would be obvious." JDAM.

Trust me Lamin, that fact has not escaped me. PPP by benign default and  APRC
by ignorant trepidation. That still does not recuse PDOIS from  demonstrating
value and worth. Besides that two-way victory is not here yet. I'd  be
working like crazy to get there.

"As  you have clearly made up your mind, I do not think you are realistically
open to  persuasion about PDOIS obvious merits." JDAM.

Lamin, again you underestimate me. I am comprehensively conversant with
PDOIS' actual merits and envisioned merit. And I have not made my mind up as to
governing political party. I am focused on the life of the citizen at this
time.  I suggest PDOIS, UDP/NRP, and APRC focus similarly. It is the erstwhile
citizen  who will let PDOIS govern. This statement is loaded and full of
actionable info  Lamin. PDOIS should treat it carefully and with circumspect.

If  anyone in PDOIS can convince me to come back to PDOIS, it will be you or
Musa Sana or Alpha if he tries. It will not be easy because the lives of
multitudes of my fellow citizens depends on it. I suggest you begin already. I
luv you men.