GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 04:26:39 -0500
>From: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A washingtonpost.com article from [log in to unmask]
>Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 04:14:58 -0500 (EST)
>
>You have been sent this message from [log in to unmask] as a courtesy of
>the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com).
>To stay on top of the latest political headlines, live discussions and
>breaking news, register now for the OnPolitics email at
>http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/onpolitics/email/email.htm.
>
>To view the entire article, go to
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7273-2000Nov30.html
>
>Clinton Reportedly Says Gore Won in Fla.

OTTAWA, Nov. 30 –– President Clinton said that if all the votes in Florida
were counted, Vice President Gore would win the presidency, the Ottawa
Citizen reported today.

The paper said Clinton made the remarks--which went further than previous
comments--casually in a conversation with about 30 people gathered at a
Washington book launch. Citizen reporter Hilary Mackenzie was present.

"The most important thing is to get the story out," the Citizen quoted
Clinton as saying. "If the votes were counted, Al Gore would carry the
state."

Clinton had Gore winning by 100 votes and then you "don't even have the
butterfly ballots from Palm Beach. Or the Holocaust survivors who supposedly
cast their vote for the anti-Semitic Pat Buchanan. Or the blacks voting for
the first time who were given the wrong instructions and double-punched."

Buchanan, the Reform Party candidate, has been accused of having
anti-Semitic views, which he denies.

Clinton had said on Monday it was not!
>  up to him to accept or reject Florida's certification on Sunday night
>that made Republican George W. Bush the winner of the state's vote. He
>pointed to a legal process that was underway, and said what was really
>important was "the integrity of the voter, every single voter."

On Wednesday, he said: "America will be embarrassed in front of the world if
the votes are not counted.

"Thanks to the liberal--and I mean liberal in the sense of open--policy of
Florida, in a few weeks students and their professors are going to recount
all the votes in Florida," he said.