GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:13:18 -0400
It is clear that Gabriel Roberts refused to rescind his UNILATERAL DECISION
to reduce the vote counting centers to 28. For the record, I still
vehemently oppose this despicable decision. I am NOT at all comforted by the
fact that the IEC is going to put its foot down and prevent foreigners from
voting in our election. They are merely doing their job by disenfranchising
foreigners.

Reports that I heard did NOT clarify the procedures vis-à-vis the
transportation of votes from polling stations to counting centers. All I
gathered is that the Police promised to provide armed guards for the convoys
transporting the ballots. What was NOT clear is whether Opposition
representatives will be allowed in the same vehicles with their ballots. It
is extremely important that the Opposition on the ground take this matter up
with Gabriel Roberts if they have not already done so. We should NOT put our
fate into the hands of the IEC and the Police. The wishes of the Gambian
people have to be safeguarded. We should NOT just ensure that every vote is
counted and recorded fairly, we have to ensure that the IEC announce that
Ousainou Darboe is the next President of The Gambia, reflecting the wishes
of the people.

It is welcomed news that the IEC reminded the people that we have a ‘Secret
Ballot’ system in the country. Yaya’s infantile rhetoric that he has video
cameras watching who people were voting for, is utter nonsense. All the
moron is trying to do is to intimidate people. You have to be as stupid as
Yaya to think that that will work. The knucklehead does NOT even realize
that people are openly wearing yellow for everyone to see that they support
the Alliance. People do NOT care whether Yaya thinks they support him or
not. Only APRC cowards and sycophants are hiding their true feelings.
Ordinary Gambians have had enough of this thuggery and are ready to
repudiate Yaya. Besides, Gambians know that Yaya is FINISHED and can do
NOTHING to anyone. The handpicked Jola clique in the Presidential Guard that
are surrounding Yaya will be overwhelmed by the people if they venture to
carry out Yaya’s diabolical orders. Gambians will no longer let these thugs
walk all over them.

The career Policemen should endeavor to do their job and keep the peace. We
all know that Ousman Badgie (Interior Minister) has a dog in this fight. He
is ready to die for his fellow Jola (Yaya). Let them perish. Ordinary
Policemen with roots in the community that have no blood in their hands
should NOT commit suicide for Yaya’s sake. Yaya is desperate and will do
anything to stay in power. But ordinary Gambians have a bright future with
an Alliance government. When push comes to shove, Yaya is ready to bolt to
Cuba. Now, where would Gabriel Roberts or Ebou Njie go? Where would their
families and friends in the community go? That is why it is important to
jettison Yaya. Let the vermin loose. If not, a civil war will ensue in the
country. Why? Because Yaya already said that when he wins he will kill
people that did NOT support him. Naturally, those people will defend
themselves. The only logical thing for Gambians to do is to vote
overwhelmingly for Ousainou Darboe and then come out in their tens of
thousands to ensure that the Presidential Guard does NOT perpetuate Yaya’s
reign of terror. That is all. The alternative is to have a hateful vermin at
the helm who will NOT hesitate to slaughter children as young as three. To
compound things, you have Gambians ready, willing and able to take Yaya on
this time around.

Again, VIGILANCE is the key. The wishes of the Gambian electorate has to be
safeguarded. Gambians should take their fate into their own hands and NOT
leave it to the Police and the IEC. People can be law-abiding yet firm in
ensuring that every vote is cast, counted and recorded fairly. We all saw
how the campaign went. While the Opposition provided clear plans to move our
country FORWARD, APRC was on the defensive trying to defend the
indefensible. They could NOT explain away the MASSACRE of our children.
Matter of fact, they treated our children with complete contempt and NEVER
talked about the MASSACRE during the campaign trail. Yaya could NOT explain
away APRC CORRUPTION. Matter of fact, they displayed their corruption openly
for everyone to see, by buying new vehicles and dishing out millions of
stolen dalasis to the Gambian electorate.

The height of APRC CORRUPTION was reached during the campaign season when
Yankuba Touray stole two million dalasis from Yaya and then deliberately
torched a government building in order to cover up his crimes. The APRC
could NOT explain away the DESTITUTION that gripped our people during Yaya’s
seven years of misrule. Matter of fact, when people asked him about why his
government failed to buy farmers’ groundnuts, all he could say was LIES
about other people. They could NOT explain away Yaya’s IMMATURE and UNCOUTH
BEHAVIOR. On the contrary, the vermin stood on national TV and ABUSED our
parents and THREATEN his opponents with death. The height of APRC THUGGERY
during this campaign season was reached yesterday when Yaya ordered his
guards to shoot an unarmed Alliance supporter.

Thank God the man has only few hours to go. Gambians MUST REPUDIATE Yaya
because the vermin has NOTHING to offer us except misery, murder, mayhem and
destitution. He FAILED the Gambian people.
KB