GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:10:11 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Burry the
> tribal card and raise the national card. The Gambia is a beautiful land and
> we need all the tribal colours to make it even more beautiful. To hell with
> Jammeh and the APRC.
> The Gambia forever.

I agree, and how do we do this when we see a leader that has come and is
playing th etribal card? We engage each other on it openly so that those on the
ground will learn from our exchanges and know that Jammeh is also  the enemies
of those he is playing favouritism with. Unfortunately, the message to engage
in this dialogue and stop those who want to silence any discussion of this
issue has been lost and instead has been relegated into a situation where those
who were advocating the message are the recipeints of much lecturing about the
same ideology they were trying to advocate. It seems we know what we want, it
is just that we have no idea how to achieve it, and lecturing people on the
grandeur of gettign along alone will nto do it because even as we lecture, Jammeh
is still hard at work playing the tribal card.
When we Gambians learn to discuss issues openly instead of just burying it
and smoothing it over with nice words, we will finally get somewhere.

Jabou Joh