GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:01:29 +0100
Ebou,

Thank you for your observations. You wrote:

"Now Sir Dawda has a very legitimate interest in the Gambia.  He was
illegally removed from office whilst serving the mandate of the Gambian
people, therefore the issue you raised insinuating the Gambian people to
make a choice between the past and the present is totally irrelevant!"

I cannot understand where we had made any insinuation that the Gambian
people should make a choice between the past and present. Let us quote in
full the irrefutable lessons that we have drawn. The relevant portion reads:

"Gambia is a country in transition. Those who were overthrown yesterday or
have fallen out with the regime are interested in having a favourable
condition to be restored. Those in control of power today or are
beneficiaries of the takeover of 1994 have interest in maintaining the
status quo. Gambians are being given the option to choose between the past
and the present. What the country needs is a future free from economic,
social and political exclusion. This is, however, more difficult to create
since it requires Gambian citizens who will no longer allow any particular
citizen to utilise them as tools to acquire or maintain power. Once such
Gambian citizens come into being, power will be controlled by the people
instead of having few elements contesting for it by using the people as
pawns or consigning them to the ranks of spectators.

"In our view, coup d'etats are political gambling matches. It appears so
easy to orchestrate but it is also so difficult to bring about. History has
shown of many coups and counter-coups costing many lives and leading to many
unstable changes. In short, the more some feel that coups are easy to
orchestrate, the more attempts are made to change governments by coups. This
is why coup making became a career in Nigeria.

"The real solution lies with the empowerment of the people. When people are
fully conscious of their power and organised, they cannot have a leadership
that functions against their will. There are no short-cuts to the
empowerment of the people. They must be enlightened and organised to control
power."

Contrary to your assertions, our position is that the Gambian people are
victims of a wretched past and present and deserve a better future.
Notwithstanding, we respect your opinion minus the misconception of our
position.

Secondly, we made reference to your memorandum of 11 July 2000 only to
clarify what is a subject of rumour in this country. Some people who had
read your posting went about to link your claims to what is currently taking
place. I only hope that our quotation will not be taken out of context. I am
glad that you have decided to throw more light on the issue so that
distortions about Jawara's role will not be possible. I am sure he will
appreciate your intervention.

Greetings.

Halifa.