GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 18:40:29 -0500
Lamin Bojang Bridging the Distance

The Independent (Banjul)
INTERVIEW
November 1, 2002
Posted to the web November 2, 2002

By Olufemi
Banjul

If a bunch of Gambians residing in far-flung Scandinavia could usher into
reality a product with its raw materials imported from home, to call them
patriots is an understatement.

They making the Gambian community in Sweden feel at home away from home but
it also clearly indicates that Gambians are industrious people, even if
they happen to flay on home soil. As Lamin Bojang, project manager of Lafo
Cooperative explains here, this Swedish based but Gambian-placed initiative
is their way of playing their quota back home.

Born in the early 60's, Bojang attended Faraba Banta Primary School, Crab
Island and Muslim High Schools. He did a brief stint at the Gambia Hotel
Training School before leaving for Sweden. There, he attended an adult high
school and bettered himself in social science. Diplomas in economics,
politics and environment were obtained at the Mid Sweden University
followed by a Masters Degree in Economics from the University of Stockholm.
A brief fling at International Relations followed before he did his thesis
study on the Central Bank and Bungalow Beach Hotel.

Chalk-pushing was next at various Swedish schools before he joined a clique
of his countrymen in a meaning project three years ago. In this issue of
Portrait, Bojang harps solely Lafo Cooperative, their plans and other
related issues.

Portrait: Why this project?

Bojang: The aim of the project is to try, as a Gambian cooperative, to
develop other Gambian produce like mango, etc. We started with .. as it was
the product and hand.

Portrait: Why the name Lafo?

Bojang: We try to use local names so that it would be a way of sticking for
our culture.

Portrait: How has the Gambian community in Sweden warmed up to this
project?

Bojang: They are actually proud of a Gambian product in Sweden.

Portrait: Are they coming and in droves to buy it?

Bojang: Unfortunately, we have only one Gambian stone in Sweden that is
selling it. However, it would soon be sold in fair trade stores, which we
are concentrating on.

Portrait: With almost all the ingredients coming from home, bureaucracy
from the Swedish authorities was never far?

Bojang: Yes, there was bureaucracy. To bring raw materials from Africa is
not very difficult. To develop the product is difficult because you have to
fill in a lot of papers, take the product to the laboratory for testing,
etc. We were able to go through it within these past eight-ten years.

Portrait: How much was pumped into this project?

Bojang: Well, from the trials to the product of the first product, half a
million Dalasis and D60,000 - D10,000 for the trials. This new trial is
about D500,000.

Portrait: Where do all these finances come from?

Bojang: Initially, the contribution of the first trial came from the
cooperative members. However, the common crucial aspect of it has been
financed by Trust Bank Limited.

Portrait: Would the Gambia have its share of the wonjo bi?

Bojang: Yes, we buy the raw materials from Gambian women farmers, which is
extra income for them. We pay in foreign currency which is good for the
economy. Infact, the drive is to move the factory to the Gambia, employ
Gambians and export the products abroad.

Portrait: Is the Gambian market viable for the wonjo bi?

Bojang: Yes, it all depends on how hard we work. We want to sell this
product more than any other product in the Gambia.

Portrait: How do you plan to market wonjo bi?

Bojang: We plan to market it through NGOs, hotels, super market, import and
export personnel and people organising festivals. We want it to be known
among the local people.

Portrait: Would you say the wonjo bi has arrived in Sweden?

Bojang: Yes, we have also partners positive to our cause . Portrait: Is the
Swedish community pleased about this solely Gambian project?

Bojang: Yes. Actually, they are surprised. In the Swedish community, the
hibiscus (wonjo) is known to be drunk as tea. Thus, they are amazed that a
drink could be extracted from it.

Portrait: Would this project be based solely in Sweden or you plan to
spread to other parts of Europe?

Bojang: Yes. A colleague of mine would be leaving for the US to took for a
market.

Portrait: Has feasibility studies done on European countries?

Bojang: I went to Switzerland and I discussed with many African
distributors who are willing and are interested to sell the product.

There are also interests in both England and Germany but the cost made us
half on that one.

Portrait: Is it through wonjo bi you contribute your own bit national
development?

Bojang: That's our objective. We realise that by having a plant, you can
make the farmers contribute by growing wonjo. Not only will you bring
foreign exchange into the country but also valued added tax.

Portrait: Why is the product not bottled?

Bojang: The product is not bottled because we do not want to add any
addictives. We want to produce it pure.

Portrait: Is this solely a Gambian financed and managed project?

Bojang: It is a solely Gambian managed cooperative but we have partners who
produce for us.

Portrait: Do you have partners from The Gambia?

Bojang: We work with agricultural bodies like NARI, etc. They help us do
the test to know which kind of wonjo we need and we are also trying to look
for more helping from the tourism industry, the media, etc, to help us with
the product.

Portrait: Roughly, how much do you plan to net in from this project?

Bojang: In the short run, we are not gaining anything. In the long run, we
are trying to product baobab and other things that would be very lucrative
for us.

Portrait: Would these things still come from Gambia.

Bojang: Yes, they would. I would be taking samples of fruits and vegetables
to Sweden to see what can be done.

Portrait: Does wonjo bi hope to extend to other areas?

Bojang: Yes but at present we want to have a plant in the Gambia to be able
to convince investors to come over.

Portrait: How do you go about that?

Bojang: That's why I'm here. We want to market our product aggressively,
make people understand it is a national product and it have to create jobs.

Portrait: It all seems rosy and bright for the wonjo bi. Is it here to
stay?

Bojang: Yes, it is. Infact, we are planning to produce one for Diabetes
patients. Thus, it would also serve as a dosage for the sick.

Portrait: Come to think of it, you were at the Hotel Training School before
you diverted to Economics. Why the change?

Bojang: Actually, I've always loned economics. During my high school days I
only attended commercial subjects. It paid off and I was awarded best
economics student. Unfortunately, I failed it during the GCE.

Portrait: Why the time wasting at the Hotel School?

Bojang: I had a job as an accounts clerk. I was young then and on
loggerheads with every body at work. I left an took entrance exams at the
GTTI, which lead me to the hotel school. When I had the chance to go to
Sweden, there was no question what I was going to do. It was simply
economics.

Portrait. How did you get there?

Bojang: I met my girlfriend at the hotel where I was working and I went to
stay with her. That's all.

Bojang: I went there to read and she really got me on the right channel.

Portrait: The wonjo bi project must make you feel hope away from home?

Bojang: Actually I'm not away from home in a way. I'm living in Sweden but
I have .. contracts with those back home. Whatever I do is for the Gambia.
In the future, I will be based here working not only on wonjo bi but a
variety of other products.