GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:55:39 -0400
Greetings all, I know this is kind of off topic but the caption about
the albino children at a school for the blind caused me to comment
thusly.  Many albinos have vision problems (I went to school with 3
albinos that I can think of right off the top of my head and knew of
other albinos from toher schools for the blind at sporting and other
events where the schools for the blind got together).  I'm not exactly
sure what causes the vision problems, I'm thinking that it has
something to do with light interacting with the eye, but I'll have to
ask my friend, who is albino herself if anyone is interested.

Most people who have albinism are not completely blind, some of them
have quite good vision, however, they have enough vision loss that
they're considered to be legally blind, under the legal definition of
blindness here in the US, and they may need other equipment such as
glasses, magnifying glasses, large print materials, etc.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that steps are being taken to deal with the
problem (though that's an understatement) of using the body parts of
albinos for witchcraft.