GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:53:20 EDT
I don't think anyone in their right mind will think that Gambians will be
volunteering to go on suicide missions, poverty notwithstanding. The Gambian
people will not serve as the scapegoats once more on this one, but I am sure that
in the attempt to pass himself as an ally of the U.S in the war on terror for
monetary gains and nothing else, Jammeh and his cronies will try to point the
finger at the poor Gambian people.

The potential problem here is that the list of gullible African leaders
mentioned has the likes of Yaya Jammeh at the top simply because he is always for
sale to the highest bidder. His "Allah's World Bank campaigne" when he donned
his "warambas" and "kurus" on the left hand and went looking for money from any
and all sources saw many a Gambian passport sold to anyone who can pay, from
Asians to a variety of Middle Easteners, to all other nationalities and no one
knows the estimate on the numbers of people who were able to buy Gambian
passports to avoid scrutiny and gain easy transit on their way to any agenda they
had. Yaya Jammeh has probably made his contribution already to the
facilitation of easy passage to all kinds of people, and the allegations of  his
involvement in the blood diamond and arms trade have long been rife. The U.N travel
ban on Baba Jobe is on record and Jobe was always acting in the interest of his
boss.
Therefore, the United States has to be stark raving mad to even think about
Yaya Jammeh as a potential partner in the war against terror when he has
probably already contributed to it but from the opposite fence.
There are also other indications that Gambia is a haven for all kinds of
diamond and gold trade even now, and therefore a gateway for whoever wants to
raise money for whatever purpose, and nothing like that can og on in Gambia
without the sanction of Jammeh who monitirs everything, and would never let the
potential to make money go untapped.
Perhaps his biggest controbution should the U.S ever consider him an ally is
to practice his double sided diplomacy ala Casamance, and pretend to be an
ally against terror while continuing to provide easy passage to would be passport
buyers and large monetary contributors who come to The Gambia to raise funds
through illegal diamond and gold deals. Perhaps he and his cronies think they
are clever enough to pull that off.

Jabou Joh