GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kabir Njaay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:15:46 +0200
Suntu,

Thanks. Yes, those intellectuals! :-) I have never liked the word, one of
the most abused and misused in the English language. Probably the reason
why I have never deluded myself that I was one. If you ask me, genuine
intellectuals on our shores do not come more erudite than Halifa Sallah,
Sidia Jatta and a handful of others.

It requires first and foremost, amongst other things, honesty, structure in
thought and meticulous gathering of information and never succumbing even if
you are in a minority of one. There are many who would sooner sell out than
stand for what is right. There are also many who simply do not have a clue.
For them 'education' is simply a passport to wealth because in their shallow
minds wealth equals success.

There was this Gambian guy who went to the same college as I. He was very
bright in class, an economics major, but imagine my surprise when one day as
we discussed Africa's economic situation I happened to mention ECOWAS whiles
talking about moves towards a single monetary system. He stopped me in mid
sentence to to inquire: "Eco what? What's that?" even though I was going to
the engineering department, I had to explain to him what ECOWAS meant...

I could not hide my irritation though, for every week we got a new issue of
"West Africa Magazine" in the library, the same applies to "New African"
every month. Whiles many African students always looked forward to new
issues, sat in the library and either read and/or copied many articles, his
like were only interested in passing exams.

As far as I am concerned the land question in Southern Africa can be summed
up in the Wolof saying: "Ku raacha tai sa kanam". What we are seeing in many
of those who ignore the land issue in Zimbabwe and dwell on "democracy" and
Human Rights" and the demonisation of the messenger, Mugabe, are those who
"raacha" and "tai kanami jamboor".

Even if one cannot see it through such prism, simple common sense should
lead one to ask the simple question" Which came first, the land question or
the democracy issue? Of course we all know that Mugabe did not become a
"dictator" before he chose to "raacha" and "tai" for his own.

Remain resolute, might has never equalled right!

Regards,

Kabir.

On 4/22/07, Suntou Touray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> kabir , keep the fire burning . our intellectuals always betrays us. they
> can
> only see from the other side.but still we have some who will stick with
> us.globalisation is the biggest coloniser of all.what use to be yours is
> turn
> against you, and you can't do any thing about it.privatisation derails
> government powers .zimbabwe is a test ground if it fails ,the rest of the
> south
> african governments will be in uter shock thus allowing our uncles to come
> up
> again with another baby milk .. and believe me many will harb ( drink )
> the
> milk .

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい