GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ceesay Soffie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:08:45 -0400
Hi Gambia-L
IF YOU THINK YOU ARE TOO SMALL TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE, TALK TO THE ELEPHANT
WHO HAD A  FLEA IN ITS EAR.
Concerned Gambians Abroad, USA chapter, sent a letter to President Clinton,
Mr. Randall Robinson of TansAfrica, as well as several media outlets in the
Washington area.  In the letters, we informed them of the atrocities
perpetrated against the demonstrating students and the massacre that ensued,
our planned activities, and sought their support in condemning the cowardly
acts of the murderous regime we have back home.  Randall Robinson's office
did call and were to call back before our planned activities.  President
Clinton sent a response which is reprinted below.  We have to keep the fire
burning.  There should be no room for complacency.

        THE WHITE HOUSE
        WASHINGTON
May 29, 2000
Dear Friends :
Thank you for your letter about the political situation in The Gambia. Like
you, I am concerned about events there.
As you may be aware, the coup in 1994 triggered a cutoff of most of our
bilateral assistance. Because the election in 1996 did not meet
international standards for transparency and fairness, our relations have
not improved. I am concerned that the government has not taken adequate
measures to ensure a free and fair 2001 election.
The events surrounding the demonstrations in April are alarming. President
Jammeh has appointed a commission of inquiry, and our Ambassardor in Banjul
has told the Gambian government that the United States believes there must
be a complete, transparent investigation into the events of April 10 - 11. I
have asked Ambassador Haley to keep me informed about the progress of the
investigation and to inform President Jammeh  of my personal interest.
I regret that scheduling constraints make it impossible to schedule a
meeting with your group. My Africa team, however, is monitoring both the
human rights and political dimensions of the situation in The Gambia and is
keeping me informed.
Thank you again for your letter.
                                Sincerely,

                                Bill Clinton ( signed )