GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Amadu Pembo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:22:54 +0000
Question:
my mother recently went to a fortune teller (which she is definetly not
supposed to because it's haraam) and she was telling me that the fortune
teller said that I will have a bad life if i marry my soon-to-be husband and
that we will not stay together for more than 2 years.... I know that only
Allah knows the future but i've been really worried by what she said....and
what can i do to potentially "reverse"this from happening.... really i'm so
confused I don't know what to think.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly: may Allaah reward you for your belief that Allaah alone knows the
unseen – this is what we hope for you and for every sincere Muslim woman –
and this is one of the essentials of faith in Allaah Alone.

But we wonder how, after saying this, you can be afraid of one who knows
nothing of the unseen?

You have to be assured and put your trust completely in Allaah, for nothing
will happen to you except that which has been decreed by Allaah.

Secondly:

The ruling on fortune-telling, i.e., soothsaying, and claiming to know the
unseen, is that these are actions which condemn a person to Hell and put him
beyond the pale of Islam.

Thirdly:

Fortune-tellers cooperate with the jinn; they are liars who cooperate with
the shayaateen (devils), who do not help them except after they have changed
their religion, and whoever changes his religion [leaves Islam] is
punishment is with Allah. The ruling concerning those who go to them and
believe them is that they are guilty of kufr; if they do not believe them,
their prayers will still not be accepted from them for forty days.

The evidence (daleel) for the former is the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah,
according to which the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)
said: “Whoever goes to a fortune-teller and believes what he says, has
disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi,
135; Abu Dawood, 3904; Ibn Maajah, 639; Ahmad, 9252. The hadeeth was classed
as saheeh by al-Haakim (1/49), and al-Dhahabi agreed with him. Al-Haafiz ibn
Hajar said, it has two corroborating reports narrated by al-Bazzaar with
good isnaads. See al-Fath, 10/217)

The evidence (daleel) for the latter is the report from one of the wives of
the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who said: the
Messenger of Allaah  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“Whoever goes to a fortune-teller and asks him about anything, his prayers
will not be accepted for forty days.” (Narrated by Muslim, 2230).

Fourthly:

How the fortune-teller gets his “information” was explained in the hadeeth
narrated by Abu Hurayrah, in which the Prophet  (peace and blessings of
Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah decrees a matter in heaven, the
angels beat their wings in submission to His words, making a sound like a
chain striking a rock. When the fear is banished from their hearts, they
say, What is it that your Lord has said? They say: The truth, and He is the
Most High, the Most Great. Then the one who is listening out hears that, and
those who are listening out are standing one above the other” – Sufyaan [one
of the narrators] demonstrated with his hand, holding it vertically with the
fingers outspread. – “So he hears what is said and passes it on to the one
below him, and that one passes it to the one who is below him, and so on
until it reaches the lips of the soothsayer or fortune-teller. Maybe the
meteor will hit him before he can pass anything on, or maybe he will pass it
on before he is hit. He tells a hundred lies alongside it, but it will be
said, Did he not tell us that on such and such a day, such and such would
happen? So they believe him because of the one thing which was heard from
heaven.” (narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4424).

Fifthly:

When the Shaytaan listens out to hear what the angels say to one another
about the decree of Allaah, this is part of the knowledge of the seen, it
does not not mean that the shayaateen have knowledge of the unseen. Then
they add a hundred lies to that word, such as when a fortune-teller says
that So and so will give birth to a boy, and the people see that he was
right about that so they believe in him, but he adds lies about the child,
saying that he will get married in such and such a year and will die in such
and such a year and other such details. So he gains a high stature in
people’s hearts and they seek to get close to him by bringing him gifts and
money, and he makes a profession out of these lies when the people believe
in him, and so he makes a living by haraam means.

Sixthly:

Not every fortune-teller is a kaahin (soothsayer). He may be a geomancer or
reader of coffee-cups, because the kaahin, unlike the others, is one who
receives information from the jinn. The others are just liars, but the same
ruling applies to them, because they claim to have knowledge of the unseen,
although the kaahin who cooperates with the shayaateen is more of a kaafir
because the kufr of fortune-telling is compounded by the kufr of his
interacting with the shayaateen, who do not give him what he wants until
after he directed some acts of worship towards them in a manner which takes
him out of Islam.

Seventhly:

You have to advise your mother not to go anywhere near these liars, lest she
falls into sin or her good deeds are wiped out. Do not give up the idea of
marriage, because marriage brings many benefits. It is an important matter
which is part of the fitrah (natural inclinations of man) and of the
religion. Your life will not be miserable, in sha Allaah; be optimistic and
hope for a good and happy life. We ask Allaah to join you with a husband who
is knowledgeable and righteous.

If something bad happens, and you marry someone with whom you are miserable,
this is because of the decree of Allaah (qadaa’ and qadar), not because of
what the accursed fortune-teller said or because he knows the unseen. This
may happen as a test or trial. In any case, going ahead with the marriage –
in addition to its own great benefits – will be a way of snubbing these
liars and fortune-tellers, and those who believe in them. May Allaah help us
all to do all that is good. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

With the very best of good wishes,
Musa Amadu Pembo
Glasgow,
Scotland
UK.
Da’wah is to convey the message with wisdom and with good words. We should
give the noble and positive message of Islam. We should try to emphasize
more commonalities and explain the difference without getting into
theological arguments and without claiming the superiority of one position
over the other. There is a great interest among the people to know about
Islam and we should do our best to give the right message.
May Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,guide us all to His Sirat Al-Mustaqim (Righteous
Path).May He protect us from the evils of this life and the hereafter.May
Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,grant us entrance to paradise .
We ask Allaah the Most High, the All-Powerful, to teach us that which will
benefit us, and to benefit us by that which we learn. May Allaah Subhanahu
Wa Ta'ala grant blessings and peace to our Prophet Muhammad and his family
and
companions..Amen.