GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. Utbult" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:16:26 +0200
Jabou wrote:
> It has been my understanding that the L is a forum where members can share
> topics of interest, as well as express their opinions.
-- and she als wrote:
---A number of us on this forum appreciate and consider the  topic of
religion a
> very relevant topic to share and dsicuss among other things.
/---/
> In this regard, i  would like to know if infact this list is what it is
> promoted as:  i.e a forum for the discussion of ideas  of  interest, and
self
> expression.
If it is not, then i would like you to please provide us a list of
> the topics you consider relevant for discussion on the list so that we
will
> know that this is a list just for the discussion of those particular
topics,
> and nothing more. Thank you.

Well, couldnt we quite simply going to the very name of this electronical
bantaba:
The Gambia and related-issues mailing list

The thing that bring us together is the interest for Gambia, may we be
gambians or nongambian friends of Gambia.
Religion play a big role in Gambia so when we discuss certain questions,
developments, where religion has a influence, of course there can be a
discussion connected to religious questions - and the gambian questíon.
But religous educational material in genereal - what is the connection to
specifically Gambia?
No forum is a place where members can share topics of interest IN GENERAL,
or express their opinions IN GENERAL - every forum has a theme, hasnt it?
I am sure that there must be quite e few forums for christian, jewish and
muslim discussions on the interpretations of their holy books, that can
fulfil the wishes of Jabou and others.

BTW  may I take te opportunity to ask a question, as a friend of Gambia for
only some years:
how could one describe the role of islam in Gambia today compared with ten
or twenty years ago? No difference? Or is islam more often referred to even
in everydaylife, in discussion on the development in general in the society?
And what about "the scene of muslims" - has there been - as I believe - a
growth of new movements, more active and "missionary"?
I am grateful for any answer in this field.