GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdou Bobb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:02:03 +0200
Folks,

Nobody should be surprised that nowhere in the koranic texts is slavery mentioned as the evil we know it as in modern society. The texts do reflect the state of affairs when they were written. Islam's conservatism throughout history that didn't allow breakaway groups/individuals to exert pressures on its main branch(es) has prevented closer scrutiny and interpretation of its scriptures. I would like to think that most people will agree that the scriptures in all these ancient religions are meant for interpretation and are not for raw digestion. A reference for such interpretation would be the contemporary society one is living in. Therefore political atmosphere does have a significant influence on what people make of religious teachings. The Arab lands, where Islam originated and spread from, have not been blessed with congenial political environments in modern times. The norm, from the 20th century to now, has been repressive regimes that misuse the scriptures' literal cons
ervative message on a gullible, and ignorant, populace to perpetuate their existence.  It'd be interesting to see what kind of influence to the Islamic scriptures a future coalition of progressive and democratic Shiite states in Iran and Irak will have.
Slavery is one thing (of the past) but what about today's horrible gender inequality that is widely accepted - I'm thinking of the 4+ wives that a Muslim male can marry if he can provide (?) for all of them, the inheritance laws that does not favour women, the general acceptance of the superiority of man over woman, etc.
I know that I'm straying; my point is that the Koran is ripe for revision. But to believers this might be blasphemy because the texts are straight from god and cannot be changed. Still, I hope that the same god that equipped us with the ability to reason will also let us interpret his texts to make us all live in a better and fairer world.

Cheers!
Abdou