GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 00:47:45 +0000
I meant to say "Cooperation in the manner ,,,

  LJDarbo

Lamin Darbo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Haruna:

Notwithstanding that the Gambia Government's potential liability is in the millions of pounds, the dispute with Carnegie is a simple contractual matter. The parties apparently settled on binding arbitration, thereby excluding any possibility of litigation in the appropriate High Court division in London.

Even in the event of litigation, third party intervention is unlikely to attract judicial blessing in so far as this particular dispute involves no important principles of general public concern, effectively excluding permission for an amicus brief.

I appreciate your concern and public spiritedness, but in a contractual dispute between two competent parties, you and I are condemned to watch the contest from the sidelines. Cooperation in the matter you envisaged is unlikely from either party, albeit for different reasons.

In light of its apparent conduct in effectively terminating the contract without invoking the agreed dispute settlement mechanism of arbitration, the prospect of success appears dim for the Gambia Government.

LJDarbo

Haruna Darbo wrote:

Hello Simon,

I am in receipt of your response which I attach for my fellow citizens.

I wish to thank you for acknowledging us and we understand your position and
predisposition. We regret that both Yahya & CO. and Carnegie are averse to
recognising the citizens of Gambia as unique party to your current
dispute/misunderstanding, ample evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.

I am also aware of efforts by both Carnegie Minerals and Yahya & Co.
attempting to coerce proprietors and editors of Gambia online newspapers to do their
bidding. I discourage my fellow citizen proprietors of Gambia online news
services from yielding to such coercive advances. This is a landmark case which
has sobering precedence. We must not sell our souls for material
considerations from unscrupulous entities.

by copy of this note, I encourage Mr. Ousman Sillah, Mr. Lamin Darboe, Mr.
Bakary Conteh, Mr. Chongan, Mr. Sanusi Owens, Mr. Halifa Sallah, Mr. Ousainou
Darboe, Ms. Mariam Denton, to consider engaging other appropriate fellow
citizens, proficient in law and jurisprudence, and form themselves into a Citizen
Legal Defense team with a view to protecting the interest of the citizens of
Gambia. I will volunteer, along with desiring citizens and online Gambia
newspaper editors, to form ourselves into the Public Relations arm of such an
entity.

Lamin, please inform me if you are amenable to leading such an adhoc team of
distinguished legal advocates. I will begin raising funds for such an
endeavour. I encourage my fellow citizens in public fora to speak their minds and
show support for forming for our defense.

Sincerely,
Haruna Darbo

In a message dated 2/27/2008 4:21:31 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,