GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:57:26 +0200
Friends
even the sources are different and of different liability, and I cannot
control if they are correct, I try to compare and build my own thoughts of
what is going on and so.
The "culture" of "steeling", "corruption", "arrogance" some persons in power
seems to create is world wide. Just look at the hearings right now on former
german leader Mr. Kohl. He "donīt remember" who and where and how much, he
will not answer the questions, and his archives are burned.
What has happen in The Gambia.
I have tried to compare two information.

First I took this report from the news some days back:

>"  A meeting held at the Kairaba Beach Hotel has called on government to begin
>discussions with the IMF and World Bank to see how best to reduce the Gambia's
>huge debt burden.  The Gambia's debt was put at 425 million dalasis.  The
>ten-day meeting which ended yesterday at the Kairaba Beach Hotel also
>recommended to government to urgently diversify exports, and lower interest
>rates to save over 400 million dalasis over the next five years.  The meeting
>which was organised by Debt Relief International and the Gambia government also
>called for a reduction of the population growth rate and formulation of anti
>poverty strategies.  In declaring the workshop closed today the Permanet
>Secretary Department of State for Finance Dodou Bami Jagne assured the donor
>community that the meeting had received the full backing of government.  Mr
>Jagne pointed out that the debt relief that government is soliciting will go a
>long way in accelerating poverty reduction. "

Secondly I saw this "information" on the Gambia-L, which Iīm unable to find
out if itīs correct :

>"JAMUS JAMMEH". His first name YAHYA is omitted for reasons
>only known to Yahya himself and the Bank. And the last time I reported on
>the account, there was $114 million US dollars in it; but within this short
>period of time, the money kept in the account has since increased. As I send
>this e-mail to you, there is $127 million dollar in it. Therefore, I am
>urging the Parliamentarians to do follow ups on this particular account. Let
>them raise it in the House or hire their own investigators to look into the
>matter. We also know that Yahya has another account with the Bank Malian
>tycoon Babading Cissoho dubbed in the United Arab Emirate. In fact, the Bank
>was even threatening at one point, to seize Yahya's money with them if
>Babading failed to settle his debt. It is not clear how Yahya came to be a
>party to the Babading loan from the Bank, but what we do know as a fact is
>that it was Babading who introduced Yahya to the Bank. And there was $19
>million US dollars in Yahya's account the last time we found out. "

And then I start to calculate. If itīs correct that President Jammeh has his
own account in some foreign countries, I donīt think he in his 5 years could
have "saved" so much from his salaries, even he has no expenditures, and the
best financial advisors and investors.

But if itīs true that there is an account with 146 million $ - I figure out
from that amount HE COULD PAY THE FOREING DEPT of 425 million Dalasis 2-3
times. So if he has the money he could do all gambians a great favor paying
the dept, and for the rest start programs, give equipment for hospitals,
Gambia University, tractors to the peasants, just to mention a few things.
Even if he left some 5 million $ on the account he and his family could live
happily from the interest and the income from the "farm"  in Kanilai, when
term is up.

Or am I calculating wrongly on the two information given ? Is there
something wrong ?

Comment from Asbjørn Nordam