GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 16:50:05 +0100
Hamjatta,

Thank you for the clarification. This is certainly not the time to talk
about who should head an alliance. This is the time for each political party
to intensify its efforts to put its programme before the people so as to win
their support. Those who support these parties should intensify the material
resources they give to such parties so that they will be able to carry on
their political work.

We hope those who truly want change will not only express their desire in
words, but also give their support in deed to the political parties of their
choice.

On the issue of the APRC political fortunes and when to strike a bargain to
go into an alliance, you claimed that I have projected some inconsistencies.
There are no inconsistencies.

You wrote: "This self-confidence runs very contrary to the self-doubt that
was inherent in your proclamation on Radio 1FM that if Jammeh/Darbo doesn't
get an out right 50% of the votes cast, you would get into an alliance with
other players during the second round."

I have never made such a statement. You know that I will not make such a
statement about Jammeh and Darboe. It has not been our political pattern to
read the minds of the Gambian people. What I have said is that the first
round of voting is generally the tool through which political parties
determine their strengths; that alliances are usually forged in a second
round of voting. In my posting to you, I even went further to mention that
even in Senegal other parties tested their strengths before forging
alliances in a second round.

Your suggestion, however, that an alliance should be forged now is noted.
Again, I must emphasise that each Gambian should not only give verbal
support to the political party of their choice. It is now time to give
material resources to each of the political parties. As far as PDOIS is
concerned, whatever support is given will be transformed into petrol,
cassettes, bicycles, other reading materials for the party workers to go
about to enlighten people. It will certainly not be utilised to mobilise
praise-singers and kill bulls, cook food, beat the drums and sing praises to
party leaders. As we always say, we prefer never to occupy positions of
leadership if the only way to get there is to use inducement or
intimidation. We prefer to rely on the enlightened will of the people to
occupy any institution of representation. Whoever is supporting PDOIS would
need to do so on that premise. We do not claim that we have greater
popularity than any party in The Gambia. We, however, have confidence that
we are being listened to, and we are intensifying our campaign among the
people.

You quoted the following:  "The current alarm being generated that without
opposition parties becoming one at this very moment change will be illusive
is something I find to be working in the interest of the APRC. What you
people are actually saying is that the government is a popular one, and that
no single opposition party can challenge it."  You then gave the impression
that this is an indication of self-confidence which runs contrary to other
pronouncements reflecting self-doubt.

Frankly speaking, I have not made expression indicating self-confidence or
self-doubt. The statement was designed to expose the contradiction in the
claims of some that Jammeh's regime is hated by most Gambians and their
demand for opposition parties to become one party, if they are not to allow
Jammeh to win the day.

The conclusion I drew is that each political party in the country is alive
and is trying to reach the people; that we should not under-estimate their
potential to bring about change; that instead of an alarm, those outside
should become more involved in giving support to the party of their choice.
It is not a question of self-confidence or overconfidence. It is simply
preventing Gambians from becoming too preoccupied with calls for a single
opposition party rather than a call for the intensification of the work of
the different opposition parties to win the support of the people. This is
the real task.

Lastly, I appreciate you understanding that we do criticise both the past
and the present. What I do not agree with is your impression that we compare
Jammeh to Jawara each time Jammeh breaks every law of the land. In fact, you
even mentioned in your last posting a comparison between July 1981 and the
students'  demonstrations. You know that this was not a fair statement.

The cold-blooded murder of unarmed students has never been equated with any
crime. And you everyone knows the position we took when it occurred. We know
when to take a firm stand, and when to take any other reasonably justifiable
stand. Our position on the students is still clear and there is nowhere we
have mentioned 1981 incident when dealing with students. However, I did not
dwell on this in response to your last posting.  However, I did not see any
need for a debate where we agree on essence. All of us cannot have the same
strategies and tactics of how to handle the situation in the country. The
reason why all these writings are being done is simply to create a climate
of understanding so that each of us will be free to do what the dictates of
conscience permit and leave the people to be the best judge who can serve
their interest at any given time.

Notwithstanding, your interventions are appreciated, even though I do not
understand what is meant by low risk criticisms of the government.

We hope you will have chance to visit our website once it is established. We
will leave you to be the judge of what we are saying and doing. We do not
think that most of you are fully in touch with what we are saying and doing.
We hope to bridge that gap very soon.

Greetings.

Halifa.