GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
abdoukarim sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 09:46:35 -0800
          New Year Message from Commonwealth Secretary-General Don McKinnon  Released: 6 Jan 2006

If apartheid was the scandal the Commonwealth united to defeat at the end of the 20th century, poverty is the scandal it must collectively confront in the 21st.
              Commonwealth Secretary-General Don McKinnon  Poverty demeans people and debilitates societies. Hunger, lack of education and poor health care seriously inhibit human development. The HIV/AIDS pandemic ravages whole communities, while maternal and infant mortality continue to afflict many societies. Persisting trade inequality also leaves many developing countries little room to prosper.
  For us in the Commonwealth, development and democracy will remain the twin, mutually reinforcing cornerstones around which our programmes and activities will be shaped in 2006 and beyond. We are determined to make meaningful progress towards helping our member countries achieve the Millennium Development Goals. We are equally determined to consolidate democracy and good governance, including the protection and promotion of human rights. The interests of small and vulnerable states will remain at the forefront of our attention. And while we stay resolved to defeat terrorism by every possible means, we will also seek to promote respect and understanding among communities to create greater tolerance and social harmony.
  2005 was, in many ways, a year of tragedy and disappointment. The full effects of the Indian Ocean tsunami became alarmingly clear only as the year began. Hurricanes later ravaged other parts of the world and a devastating earthquake hit South Asia. Terrorism once again reared its ugly head. The Millennium Development Goals seemed to remain agonisingly out of reach five years after they were adopted.
  But there were also signs of hope and promise. There was unprecedented international focus on the eradication of poverty. The G8 leaders made important commitments, notably on multilateral debt cancellation and a doubling of development assistance for Africa. The World Summit in New York, even if it disappointed many, took important decisions on establishing a Peacebuilding Commission and a Human Rights Council. Worldwide, civil society demonstrated its ability to mobilize and mould opinion on key policy issues.
  At Malta, Commonwealth leaders once again confirmed that ours is a dynamic and relevant international organisation. They agreed important statements on multilateral trade, vulnerable small states, and networking the Commonwealth for development, in addition to giving us mandates on a range of other policy issues. The Valletta Statement on Multilateral Trade, in particular, was an excellent example of the Commonwealth's ability to get diverse national interests and positions to converge into a robust political consensus.
  The special theme in Malta was 'Networking the Commonwealth for Development'. Leaders recognised that information and communication technology is a powerful instrument of development and that bridging the digital divide is vital for economic growth and stability. We will move resolutely to implement the Commonwealth Action Programme on the Digital Divide.
  Trade remains one of the most potent weapons to pull countries and people out of poverty. The WTO ministerial meeting in Hong Kong was disappointing in its overall outcome, but I believe the Commonwealth can take credit for keeping the level of ambition high - and indeed for some of the progress achieved. Even if it is not a negotiating bloc, the Commonwealth has a strong hand to play in the arena of multilateral trade: we represent 40 per cent of the WTO membership, over 20 per cent of global trade, and about 30 per cent of all humanity. We must continue to exercise that collective strength and influence to secure a strongly pro-developing country outcome in 2006 - the single year remaining to find a comprehensive deal in the Doha Round.
  The scourge of HIV/AIDS and preventable diseases such as malaria, tuberculosis and polio must be tackled on a priority basis. Reducing high levels of maternal mortality must also remain a priority; we know how to do it, and know also that it will require continued attention to the rights and social status of girls and women. The theme for Commonwealth Day 2006 is Health and Vitality: the Commonwealth Challenge. It is, of course, a challenge that does not simply disappear at the end of the year and should be a constant beacon call to governments and civil society organisations alike.
  The Commonwealth proudly continues to set the highest standards internationally on adherence to democratic principles, human rights and the rule of law. This is a badge of honour, which distinguishes it from other international organisations. We will strive to make further progress on consolidating basic democratic norms, practices and institutions, which bring so many benefits, ensuring that each nation is able to determine the democratic model that best suits its national characteristics. The ratification by all our member states of the basic covenants on human rights will also be a priority.
  The menace of terrorism continues to affect the international community at large and many Commonwealth countries in particular. Its roots may be found in intolerance, inequality, injustice, ethnic and cultural differences, socio-economic marginalisation, and even straightforward political beliefs and ends. Side by side with combating terrorism and extremist ideologies through all possible means, we need to reduce feelings of alienation and marginalisation and promote mutual respect and understanding among communities. This is a challenge which the Commonwealth will seek to address in the year ahead, using the wealth of experience available within its ranks in the successful management of diversity.
  In just over two months from now, we will celebrate the magnificent spectacle of the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne. The 'Friendly Games' as they have come to be known, apart from promoting sporting excellence and achievement, embody much of the essence of the Commonwealth - unity in diversity, a family spirit, goodwill and understanding, and the power and promise of young people. The Games are expected to attract some 5,000 competitors from more than 70 countries and territories. I look forward to them with eager anticipation.
  The Commonwealth is one of the oldest and most successful international organisations in existence today. This is in part because individuals, civil society groups and governments are all involved in this enterprise. Everyone who commits time and energy in the Commonwealth receives more than that investment in return. And the association is supported by institutions like the Commonwealth Secretariat and the Commonwealth Foundation, which have now been in the business of promoting Commonwealth co-operation for 40 years.
  2006 will no doubt be another challenging year for the Commonwealth. Equally I have no doubt that we will be ready to confront the challenges that lie ahead.
  I wish a very happy, peaceful and prosperous New Year to all Commonwealth citizens.
  Don McKinnon

        Latest News:          New Year Message from Commonwealth Secretary-General Don McKinnon      The Commonwealth Must Take Action on WTO Modalities by Mid-2006      Secretary-General Disappointed by WTO Outcomes in Hong Kong      Post-Tsunami Volunteer Doctors Remain in Service in Maldives      Modernising Public Services through Public-Private Partnerships      Helping Hand for Sri Lanka's Small Businesses
  Secretariat Links:        HIVAIDS    Gender    Health
  Related Websites:        WTO