GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:12:41 -0000
Mr. Jobe,

I commend you for coming out plainly to state your case for supporting the
APRC. This is simply the best case that anyone has advanced for the APRC
here, as far as I know. I wish you were doing so under your real name -but
that's your choice.

On the facts you've stated, I don't have any major problems there. The
record of the PPP in terms of overall national development is indeed
shameful, and you're spot on about what obtained in  the various sectors
you've browsed through.

I do have some suggestions, and questions though:

1. Please -if you can- provide some concrete stats that we can verify if
needs be (pre-1994 v. now.)

2. Given that Finance SOS Famara Jatta has in his last Budget Speech
admitted that poverty -despite all the developments you've cited- has been
on the increase since '94, could you please take a stab at explaining to us
why things continue on this downward spiral inspite of the APRC's
"progressive" agenda.

3. How does the enormous brain drain (which is tied directly to the
incessant flagrant violation of civic liberties) currently being experienced
by the Gambia factor into the overall picture? In other words, how does your
govt hope to develop the country when the smartest citizens are forced into
exile because of autocracy? If you don't get what I'm driving at, I'll put
it this way: Why is Hong Kong more advanced than mainland China? The people
are all Chinese -same genetic material. What factors spur human creativity
and inguinuity, and how does that correlate with the APRC's modus operandi?

4. Can you name me ONE nation/society in modern human history where people
have been able to truly develop themselves and their society without
freedom? Just one will do.

5. You wrote: "In short my allegiance is to “The Gambia and its diverse
Peoples” and ANY PARTY THAT IS IN POWER... "(your words, my emphasis.) Do
you mean to say that you don't have any personal principles or core values
as thresholds for your support of a government? Will you jump on the band
wagon should the APRC be kicked out in the next elections by say NRP without
any compunction?

6. Because I'm out of time, I have to ask you this: Do you consider a govt
that has murdered little boys and girls, blamed them for it, ignored the
recommendations of Investigative bodies that it had setup itself, and
formally indemnifies itself against prosecution, to be one that "puts the
aspirations of our peoples first, ahead of self or party" which is worthy of
your support?

I look forward to your second part, which I'm sure will touch on public
corruption in the PPP era V. corruption under the APRC -the magnitude, the
players, the impact on our society. I once again thank you for stating your
govt's position so clearly. I also commend you for sticking to a civil tone
in your exchanges. It beats Mafy Jarju and Essa Bokarr Sey's view of our
camp (though some of us are equally harsh in our take on y'all.) I hope
other govt officials will follow your lead, just so we can all see where
each camp is coming from. Who knows, we may yet come to a better
understanding after all this. If that happens, this wouldn't have been in
vain. We'll see. Thanks for your trouble.

Good day!

Saul.

“ …We pledge our firm allegiance, our promise we renew, keep us great God of
nations to the Gambia ever true”.

I start my defense of supporting the APRC government by, first of all,
quoting the above from our national anthem. In short my allegiance is to
“The Gambia and its diverse Peoples” and any party that is in power and puts
the aspirations of our peoples first, ahead of self or party will get my
support.

INTRO.

One of the fundamental principles of democracy is the right of a people to