GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mori Kebba Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:04:58 -0500
Culled from the Independet News paper

S ome youths in Banjul have vowed to withdraw their 'involvement and
support' for the APRC Youth Action Group. The youths believed that their
involvement with the now defunct July 22nd Movement and other organisations
formed under the banner of the ruling APRC had caused them to act 'outside
the jurisdiction of law and order.' They maintained that their involvement
with the APRC had made them more liable to commit acts that run contrary to
the spirit of the rule of law and democracy and declared that it was better
to withdraw their support as a result.

They said the decision was prompted by their 'opposition' to violence and
tendencies that might infringe human rights and advised other like-minded
youths in the city to 'immediately desist from unlawful acts and behaviour
but to engage in positive moves for socio-economic development and peaceful
co-existence.'

The group of youths, who approached The Independent recently, denounced what
they called 'political extremism and crime' and urged the general public to
work harmoniously for the country's best interest.

Biram Ceesay, alias Bunna, of Tobacco Road speaking on behalf of the youths,
claimed that since the July 1994 coup they have all been members of the July
22 Movement and Youth Action Group but recently decided to withdraw their
involvement because of what they saw as 'the growing prospect of committing
crimes' against other political groupings.

Mr. Ceesay said although they were applauded as patriotic citizens under the
APRC, they were vested with 'so many rights' which were 'doing more harm
than good' to other Gambians.  'Now we will never allow ourselves to be used
as tools to satisfy the political designs of a few,' he declared.

'Such a situation had left us in a painful dilemma especially after
confronting our own brothers and sisters.'

Mr. Ceesay, who conveyed the Banjul youths' decision to cease identifying
with APRC activities, said they are ready to defend themselves against any
eventuality in the future.

According to him, their group, 'concerned with the state of human rights
violations in the country' last week formally met some senior government
officials to express their concerns. He added that following their
disappointment with the officials' reaction, they later 'unanimously'
withdrew their allegiance. 'We will instead keep a low profile from now on,'
he intimated.

Asked whether they had informed the officials that they were withdrawing
their support for the APRC Youth Action Group, Mr. Ceesay said they were not
required to notify the officials.  'We do not need to consult anyone for our
withdrawal. We are Gambians with the right to decide our own destiny,' he
declared.

'We need not be part of the group any more and our reasons are very clear
and I hope they are understood.'

Mr. Ceesay, who claimed to be a secondary school leaver, intimated that he
would convince fellow youths to engage in 'more constitutional programmes
and develop their talents for their own good.'

'Everyone knows that we are always at loggerheads with innocent people and
this might cause trouble in the future,' he reasoned.

'We are urging our fellow youths to stop the intimidation, harassment and
beating of people without justification.'

Mr. Ceesay also expressed concern over the handling of the student
demonstrations and the controversy surrounding the crude oil saga. He also
expressed concern over the US $52 million Taiwanese Grant to The Gambia, the
Auditor General's report and the difficult situation under which the private
media operate.

'A lot of issues need to be addressed before we can be convinced back to any
movement,' he noted.

Mr. Ceesay also urged politicians to engage in 'constructive politics,
dialogue and respect for citizens' rights irrespective of their political
affiliation.'

Musa Faal, another youth, vehemently condemned what he called 'political
opportunism, sycophancy, and corruption', warning that taxpayers' money
should be used for socio-economic development 'and not to satisfy flamboyant
lifestyles. 'The taxpayers' money is not meant for the purchase of expensive
fleets of vehicles while Gambians live in abject poverty,' he reminded.

Mr. Faal commended the international community for 'their concern over the
welfare of ordinary Gambians.'

http://www.qanet.gm/Independent/body_independent.html

Mori