GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulie Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:30:13 -0500
Much clouds has been raised lately and still continue to be raise following
the politically insensitive comments Senator Lott issued at a ceremony
celebrating the 100th birthday of the outgoing senator Thurmond of South
Carolina. Although, I greatly agree that his comments are insensitive and
perhaps wrong, to which I condemn him, I think we also ought to question
the motive of the democratic party over making too much mayhem out of this.
Al Gore and Sen. Kerry both 2004 presidential hopefuls have not only
condemned Sen. Lott for his comments but have now carved it as part of
their platform for attacking the GOP on race. Which begs the big question.
Is the democratic party exploiting this issue for their belief in civil
rights or just another political gimmick aimed at regaining the white house
come 2004? To my opinion, it is the later.

The democratic party has not lived to their so-called party of inclusivity.
The administration of presidential Clinton, the guy that claimed to be
champion of civil rights in our era, was the least racially diverse than
any other U.S. president for the past few decades. This is a clear
demonstration that the democratic party only talks the talk but never walks
the walk. Why haven't we seen the democratic senators draft a proposal
aimed at condemning Sen. Lott's comments. Well, they did when Jesse Jackson
made some light comments on the Jews.

To the surprise of many, this is actually not the first time for a racially
insensitive statement to me made by a high ranking senator. Senator Bard of
West Virginia went on national TV and used the "N"- word. Why was he not
asked to quit the senate. So, brother's and sister's let's not fool
ourselves by the political move of the democratic party. As far as I am
concern, they are all the same when it comes to race. Sen. Lott may be the
only one that disclosed what was in his heart but they all possess the same
motives.
-- Abdoulie Jallow