GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousainou Ngum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 21:19:34 -0700
   Well done to the folks in Detroit. This is indeed promising and I join
all others in congratulating you on this accomplishment. Splendid!

Ous Ngum
Columbus, OH

>  Beran jeng wrote:
>
>  > I congratulate all for their achievements with the hope that the day is
near
>  > when sanity will be restored in The gambia ,under an alliance
gorvernment
>  > ,allowing us to return and contribute towards our nations building.
>  >
>  > Beran
>  >
>  > Students Rake in College Degrees
>  >
>  > The Independent (Banjul)
>  >
>  > October 5, 2001
>  > Posted to the web October 8, 2001
>  >
>  > Cherno Baba Jallow
>  > Banjul, the Gambia
>  >
>  > For Gambians in Michigan, USA, the year 2001 has marked an
unprecedented
>  > spurt of academic achievements.
>  >
>  > During the recent graduation ceremony of Davenport University in
Detroit
>  > City, five Gambians bagged bachelors degrees, occasioning great
rejoicings
>  > within the Gambian community. A month earlier, four other Gambians had
>  > graduated from Central Michigan University, three with masters and one
>  > bachelor's. The scorecard is undeniably impressive for the
Detroit-based
>  > Gambians: 11 of them in this year alone have coveted respective college
>  > degrees; many more Gambians are on the verge of graduating in a year or
two.
>  >
>  > Of glory and motivation This has given Gambians in Detroit, estimated
>  > number close to 200, newfound optimism about the future. "It's a great
>  > achievement," enthused the Kudang-born Surahata Ceesay, who graduated
with
>  > M.Sc. in health service administration, and now working for the Trinity
>  > Health Care System. "It's very hard going to school full-time and
working,
>  > too. It's not an easy task, but it's always going to pay off," he
added.
>  >
>  > Kebba Barrow, a native of Jarra Barrow Kunda, stressed that Gambians
should
>  > not be discouraged in their quest for higher education in the US
because of
>  > the attendant difficulties: "It takes time and commitment; this is very
>  > important," he asserted. For him, coming to the US was purposely to
seek
>  > higher education. He now holds M.Sc. in computer software engineering.
His
>  > first degree was in health service administration from the University
of
>  > Detroit-Mercy. He said he changed fields because "The Gambia is lacking
in
>  > computer software engineering. The health care sector is over-saturated
with
>  > people."
>  >
>  > "It's a record setting," said the Illiassa native Lamin Jammeh.
"Gambians in
>  > Detroit have been graduating since 1998, but never has there been many
of
>  > them graduate at once," he concluded. Lamin, who also holds M.Sc. in
>  > computer information systems, had hoped to attain his Ph.D. in his
father's
>  > lifetime. Unfortunately, his father Yusupha "Boukka" Jammeh, former
Managing
>  > Director of FACES, died recently, leaving behind a son unrestrained in
his
>  > ambition for higher education.
>  >
>  > The sudden death of his mother Kunda Camara in the fatal accident
involving
>  > some UDP officials near Bansang, had to compel Yusupha Kamara to
abandon his
>  > masters program and go to The Gambia to bereave her. But he has since
picked
>  > up from where he had left off. "I have three more classes before I
obtain my
>  > MBA in global management," he revealed. Yusupha opined that Gambians in
the
>  > US badly need family support and encouragement to excel in their
academic
>  > pursuits. "Also," he added, "you have to set your goals and say, 'this
is
>  > what I want to achieve'; it requires hard work and patience."
>  >
>  > He expressed the hope that when this story about them is published in
The
>  > Gambia, it would show a positive image of the majority of hardworking
>  > Gambians in the US in mark contrast to recent negative reports of drug
>  > smuggling involving some Gambians in North Carolina. For the former
Central
>  > Bank employee Sulayman Jammeh, the large-scale Gambian graduation will
>  > encourage the few others in Detroit who aren't going to school to do so
now.
>  > "We have set an example for others to follow. Education is the best we
can
>  > achieve in the US," he emphasised.
>  >
>  > Sulayman admitted that he wasn't consistent with his undergraduate
classes,
>  > as he had dropped out of college to take some banking courses, which
would
>  > later land him a better job. "It took me longer to graduate than I had
>  > thought, but at least I got what I wanted," he smiled.
>  >
>  > Sulayman, who holds BA in Finance has just landed a new job as an
accounting
>  > analyst with a world travel company. He hopes to enrol this fall for a
>  > graduate program in either human resources or general management.
>  >
>  > The former deputy head girl of Gambia High School, class of 1992, Ramou
>  > Ceesay, thanked her family and friends for their support and
encouragement
>  > over the years. " I graduated with bachelors in organizational
>  > administration; in August, I will enrol for my Master's in industrial
>  > administration," she said happily. Ramou is also happy because her
husband
>  > Jim Gaye, also graduated with an associates degree in computer
information
>  > system and business administration from Wayne County Community College.
"He
>  > will be proceeding to the Walsh College of Business," she glowed over
her
>  > husband's plan for a four-year college entry.
>  >
>  > Returning home When is the time to return to The Gambia and contribute
>  > national development? Kebba called on all Gambians with higher
education to
>  > "look into the opportunity of returning home someday and contributing
>  > national development." With a masters degree in software engineering,
and
>  > also doing consultancy work with IBM, IKON, Kebba thought his knowledge
of
>  > computers would be of great value to Gambian socio-economic
development.
>  >
>  > But Yusupha argued that a final return to The Gambia and participation
in
>  > national development is "a matter of personal choice." To him, a return
>  > The Gambia is contingent upon personal and family conditions. "But it's
>  > still possible to contribute to national development from afar," he
>  > remarked.
>  >
>  > Sulayman agreed that it's a matter of choice to return or not to return
>  > The Gambia, but he stressed that it's a sense of family longing that
>  > motivates people to return home. "I don't think every Gambian wants to
stay
>  > here forever," he claimed. He also questioned the authenticity of
claims of
>  > certain Gambians that employment is hard to come by in The Gambia.
>  >
>  > "People say there are no jobs in The Gambia, but I think with your
education
>  > and experience, you could get any job in The Gambia," he said. "
>  > Personally," he declared, "I am strongly thinking about returning to
The
http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
>  >
>  > <<//\\>>//\\<<//\\>>//\\<<//\\>>//\\<<//\\>>//\\<<//\\>>
>  >
>  > To view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface
>  > at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html
>  >

>  To view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface
>  at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/