GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebba Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 16:40:45 -0000
Mr. Dampha,

You see, rather than just label people you don't know "dubious" or calling
them names when they express views that may seem irrational or contrary to
your own, it is better to ask where one stands. I have a lot of respect for
Hamjatta, even though I don't know him and I really enjoy his writings.
However, I believe his intepretation of the Kiang by-election is too
simplistic.

For the record, I would rather be be found dead than to ever associate
myself with thugery, injustice or deception. That said and done, please
allow me express some of my opinions about the by-elections. I have read in
some of your contributions as well as those of others like Mr. Sanneh,
Gassama, Jallow, Miss Joh etc., etc., in which all of you seem flabagasted
by the outcome of the Kiang by-elections. While some are recommending a
total re-think of the opposition strategy, some are wasting a lot of
valuable time moaning about voter card buying. As much as this happened,
perhaps extensively, are they more worried by the fact that some
disenfranchised themselves for the measely sum of D25.00 or are they more
worried by those who actually took time off to actually vote for the APRC,
considering some of the reasons advanced by some that should have convinced
not to?

I believe it was Mr. Sanneh who, earlier, asked whether a UDP victory was a
sure thing. I believe the reason be cautioned the UDP supporters about being
over optimistic is because he knew something else that some of us may or may
not have known. Someone else suggested that the minds of the people needs
opening up to enable them see that this government does not deserve to be
re-elected come the October and January elections respectively. These are
all varied opinions based on an individual's own perspective. Let me give
you a brief recollection I have about a voting card sale in which the guy
confessed to have sold his card for D2,000.00. When asked why, his answer
was "The D2,000.00 I was paid is more useful to me and my poor family than
any of these good for nothing candidates who are only running to line up
their own pockets." Unfortunately he did not disclose who he sold his card
to or the party. Now, would you say this guy is irresponsible, unconcious or
down right gaulible? As far as I am concerned, the answer is an EMPHATIC
NO!!!!!

Some of you have on many occasions highlighted the plight of the ordinary
farmers especially the difficulty they have selling their produce. The APRC
government is on record as saying that the buying of groundnuts is not the
government's responsibility. They also on record as saying that the buying
of groundnuts should be a private sector venture.

It is alledged that the president, in conivance with certain individuals, is
involved in the buying of nuts. In my opinion, what could have helped the
opposition, knowing full well the terrible suffering of the farmers, was to
either try their own effort to alleviate this problem or explain to them
what they would have done if they were the government. Instead they are
telling the farmers that all the government projects are a waste of money.
Without telling them clearly what their alternative would have been, they
instead be telling over and over again that the schools, clinics, roads,
tractors are all a sham and these should influence them. Would that be
bought by everybody? I hope not. These are some of my own views and I hope
it has made certain things clearer.

Bye 4Now, KB Jobe.

"There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve"

                  (MIKE LEAVITT)