GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
maria sisay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:35:05 -0800
Isatou:

Thank you so much for this information.  I think it's important for other gambians to know about what's going on in other countries since some of us already have relatives in Norway.

Please keep us inform about the latest development on this case.

Thanks

Mama Sisay

  Isatou B Jallow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
For those of you living outside Norway, just some little information on my previous mail.

Last week Friday, around after 11pm, a young 15 year old boy of mixed parentage (Norwegian mother/Nigerian father) was stabbed to death near his home, Holmlia. Few hours afterwards a group of five members of new nazi group were arrested, in an apartment which seems to have been their meeting place. The apartment was covered of pictures of their nazi heroes from world war 2. It's now apparent that one of their members did it and he's at large at the moment. One of the arrested guys said that they just went to Holmlia(which according to the news has people from 124 nations), to scare away "morkhudede"(darkskinned people). According to an old Jewish man, January 27th is the international holocaust day in memeory of the liberation of one of the nazi holocaust camps called Auschwitz(haven't confirmed this yet and I am poor when it comes to 2nd world war history). And this boy was killed January 26th just before midnight.

This has shaken the whole country. It has dominated the media since. As for the foreigners in this country I don't think there are any words to describe their feelings, especially the youths. People, most of them youths have been going to the murder place everyday, holding around each other and giving each other support.

The politicians as usual have been having their usual debates about it. Most of them have expressed shock at something like this could happen here in Norway. For us foreigners, this is no shock. It was just a matter of time. Over the past few years, just like in most European countries, we have also experienced the rise of new Nazism in Norway. It is really sad that someone has to die for it to get the attention it has now in the whole of Norway.

Yesterday three of the five arrested were released from custody. This has also cause lots of anger and frustration among the foreigners especially the youths. Two hours later, one of them was again arrested. He has committed over 30 racist related crimes. Two of them are that he burnt down two newsstands, which were owned by foreigners. This is all in an attempt by the politicians to calm the people and to make us believe that they are actually doing something. They should have been doing something a long time ago. The apparent killer was involved in another stabbing incident last, December where he stabbed a man from Pakistan. Nothing came out of it. The same group has a web site where they have been saying things like "it's time to stop the talking and act". It's one of the most disgusting and sickening web sites anyone can ever visit. Nothing has been done about the site. After the murder of this boy, some of their counterparts sent them messages through their site congratu!
lating them because there's one less "nigger" in Oslo. And still the site stands.

There has been lots of demonstrations already but tomorrow, Thursday, there's going to be a bigger one organised by the anti racist centre and lots of other organisations. What would come after that I really don't know but I hope that we'll be able to find a solution to ensure a safer place especially for our children.

Got to get back to work. Sorry for any errors as I was writing this mail during my lunch break.

Isatou