GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:25:02 +0200
Sister Soffie Ceesay,

Many many thanks for this wonderfully readable report on the meeting of Gambia government representatives at Howard University. It has obviously been a tremendously  interesting meeting, with the regime's mouthpieces in top spin, ironically lauding the freedom of the press while preparing the inauguration of the Media Commission back home; chanting hymns on the good President's donation of tractors to farmers while Gambian peasants disappear daily on the yoke of incessant price increases and unmarketable products; lecturing on good governance while the souls of Gambian school children butchered in broad daylight by soldiers three years ago, remain restless for want of justice.
To have the courage to put up a very brave face in the United States never mind the issues of injustice and corruption you and other progressive Gambians raised, is indeed the stuff of legend. The composition of the delegation itself is awesome. I would not have dreamt that Crispin(?) Grey-Johnson, who introduced many students and myself to Samir Amin's "The Pillage of the Third World", himself would be watchdog of a regime pillaging the Gambia.

George W. Bush will be visiting Senegal and several African countries from July 7th. Of course Bush, like other world leaders before him will overfly Gambia on his way to Nigeria and South Africa. Gambian leaders have rightly calculated they need to bring their case for investment opportunities in the Gambia to Washington since Washington will not come to Banjul. It is a case of the mountain coming to Muhammad. I think again that the Gambian government is knocking on the wrong door. Militating against its economic potential is Gambia's very very small market size; much smaller than that of most American cities with a population of 100,000.

It is a good idea to want to sell Gambia abroad, but Gambia must first get its priorities right if it wants to become more attrractive in the international marketplace.  The government needs to woo overseas-based Gambians to gradually convince them that it is in their best interest to invest at home; and it cannot do that if their is apparent disregard for the rule of law, if it continues to muzzle critical voices, both of individuals and of the media, and if does not reinstate its previously overhyped slogans of accountability, transparency and probity. Our country is too small to continuously experience the politics of division rather than inclusion. Our very small size endows us with the possibility of creating and maintaining a consensus on political culture; an inclusive culture that while encouraging difference in thinking an association, nevertheless instills a unity of national purpose; and because it has the power of executing its wishes, the government needs to take the initiative in this regard.

Besides, Mr. Blaise Jagne needs to understand that Gambians will continue to insult the government if itself continues to violate the integrity and abuse the dignity of Gambians. A better Gambia is not just desirable, it is indeed possible.

Momodou S Sidibeh