GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:50:48 +0000
Phoday Lang Sarr, referred to as the “Deputy Majority
Leader” of the National Assembly and a very close
political and business associate of Baba Jobe, has
claimed that “the people of LRD [Baba Jobe’ native
division] have disowned Baba Jobe and have pledged
more support to President Jammeh and the APRC”.

Mr Sarr, who is the National Assembly Member forJarra
Central and the APRC desk officer for LRD, made this
startling claim following his week-long “political
sensitisation in the division to explain the case
surrounding the embattled Majority leader.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with Daily Observer
at his Fajikunda residence Monday, Mr Sarr said, “The
people of LRD are today more committed to the ideals
and principles of the APRC and they would never
support Baba Jobe for his [...] doings and will not
associate with anyone who wants to show solidarity
with the embattled Majority leader. The people of LRD
have now seen the truth as I succeeded in clearing the
air over circumstances surrounding Baba Jobe’s case
and they have realised that he betrayed the confidence
bestowed in him. They were very much happy and
delighted that the air has been cleared and they saw
his problems as personal and they have all dissociated
themselves from him.”

According to Mr Sarr, all the meetings he conducted in
the LRD were successful “for there were large
turn-outs and the people have vowed to continue
supporting Jammeh and the APRC for they cannot support
an individual for his selfish interest. So, this shows
that my mission was successful and the APRC has
achieved its goals in the LRD and no one can reverse
that situation and anybody who disputes this can visit
the division and interview the people. If that
happens, Gambians would understand that the LRD is
supportive of Jammeh’s every move to correct the ills
for the well-being of all Gambians,” Mr Sarr claims.

He said in two weeks, the APRC will organise a mass
political rally, probably in Soma, Baba Jobe’s power
base, “to prove to all that the APRC is unshaken in
the LRD. All the NAMs from the division have resolved
that this is the best way to show to the whole world
that LRD is not behind Baba Jobe but President Jammeh
and the APRC. We will invite all the media houses in
the country so as to show the whole country that it is
APRC and President Jammeh that matters and not Baba
Jobe. The President will be surprised with the
reception he will be receiving in the LRD in the
coming tour for they have seen his move as timely and
a step in the right direction”

Ties with Baba Jobe Asked how he could play Judas, by
abandoning his friend in his hour of need as he seem
to be doing now, Mr Sarr retorted, “No, no, I am not
and I have never been a close associate of Baba Jobe.
We did not have any close ties and I am not a party to
his deeds. His case is a private one and it is the
APRC that brought us together. So, if he betrays the
ideals and principles of the APRC, how can I support
him? What matters is the APRC and if he is out of
[sync with] the party principles, then I have nothing
to do with him. In fact, I have already decided not
even to go near him or anything that resembles him
because doing so means that I am associating myself
with wrong doings. I want to make it clear that it is
the APRC that combined us and nothing else. Before
that, we had no relationship and the same thing
applies to the people of LRD.

Asked whether he was distancing himself from Baba Jobe
because of fears of political reprisals from the APRC,
Mr Sarr said, “No, that is not true. I am performing
my role as a desk officer and I am an APRC stalwart
who loves and admires President Jammeh for his vital
role in developing The Gambia. I cannot sit down and
allow misinformation to take root in LRD because of
[one man’s personal interest],” he claimed.

More flags He further claimed, “Today, more APRC flags
and portraits of President Jammeh are on the display
in LRD. The news that APRC flags were burnt in the LRD
is absolutely false. Many have sacrificed their own
money now to raise more APRC flags all to show
President Jammeh that the APRC is stronger in the area
than before. In LRD, it is President Jammeh and
nothing else! Baba Jobe has no support in Jarra, all
the support for him was because of President Jammeh,”
Mr sarr posited.

Meanwhile, Baba Jobe was not available for a response
to Mr Sarr’s claims as he is languishing in police
detention.
However, a statement made on Baba Jobe’s behalf by one
of his lawyers published in Daily Observer last month
stated that Mr Jobe is still a member of the APRC,
loyal to and supportive of President Jammeh.

© Copyright 2003 by Observer Company