GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:13:49 -0700
Mr. Gassama,

I think what I have stated earlier last night is crystal clear enough and I do not think engaging in polemics is going to help.  I was just describing an inverse insight into a socio-linguistic phenomenon which can be experienced but cannot be explained because there is an absence of expected intelligibility in the statistical data itself.
Now you may disagree with what I have said but that in itself does not in any way explain the phenomenon I try to describe.  If you have any theory concerning the UDP electoral votes in the past two elections please share it with me by all means.  Until then Mr. Gassama, I would prefer to rest my case on this issue and the immanent legitimization crisis of NADD.

All the best,

Ebou

Momodou Buharry Gassama <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Mr. Jallow!
Thanks again for your time. You wrote:

"Once again I am not "charging" nor accusing anybody of anything."

Your statement, "the UDP, the dominant group amongst NADD, plays a shadow politics of Mandinka tribalism as r! eflected
in its constant claim of about 40% electoral votes- congruent to the Mandinka population of the Gambia" says two things:

1) The UDP, the largest group within NADD, plays shadow politics of Mandinka tribalism.

2) That the UDP constantly claims about 40% of electoral votes, a figure that matches the Mandinka population of The Gambia.

This in effect charges that or accuses the UDP of deliberate engagement in "shadow politics of Mandinka tribalism". It in effect also charges that the party CONSTANTLY makes claims to electoral votes relative to the number of Mandinkas in the country. In short, your statement accuses the UDP of being a tribalist party. That is why I asked you to provide proof that the UDP indeed is guilty of what you accuse it of. I asked you to prove that the UDP either by statement or inference insinuated Mandinka tribalism. I also asked you to prove, assuming that the UDP did indeed claim the number of votes relative to the number of Mandinkas in the country, how you made the connection that the UDP was linking that figure to the number of votes from Mandinkas and indeed using the tribal card. Your reply in essence says the following:

1) That you did not accuse the UDP of anything.
2) You made an attempt to describe a phenomenon that tribe plays in Gambian politics.
3) That the UDP vote fits the pattern of votes that became a trend in the last two presidential elections.
4) The dynamics of such a trend covertly manifest, match no other tribe but the Mandinkas.

Going from the above, you are saying that it is the results of the votes that play the tribalist card and not the UDP. How can the UDP be responsible for the actions of the Gambian electotate or accidental statistical match of the Mandinka population? Is it logical to accuse the UDP of being tribalist because the number of votes it received during the last two presidential elections are relative to the number of Mandinkas in the country? Do you know how many Wollofs, Fulas, Jolas, Manjagoes etc. make up that result? Are you sure that all those who voted for the UDP were Mandinkas? Let us assume that the other tribes combined made up 10% of the UDP vote. That would discredit your claim that the UDP vote is relative to the Mandinka population.

If you believe that there was a tribal aspect to the number of votes received by the UDP, why didn't you accuse the Gambian electorate of "shadow Mandinka politics" and leave the UDP out of it? Why did you accuse the UDP? I say why did you accuse the UDP because you used "plays" and "constantly claims". These words denote an active engagement in something. "Play" suggests that the party deliberately engages in a game of Mandinka tribalism. "Constantly claims" suggests that the party all the time claims a figure relative to the number of Mandinkas in the country. However, what you are now saying is that the UDP neither plays the Mandinka tribal card nor claims a figure relative to the number of Mandinkas in the country. In effect, you are acquitting the UDP of your charge of Mandinka tribalism. Thanks and have a good day.
Buharry.