GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 19:30:02 EDT
There he was in a three-piece suit professing both suprise and outrage at the
European Union statement that essentially called on the murderous government
for whom he is the chief diplomat to stop it's Gestapo tactics of gross human
rights violations. With a straight face Sedat Jobe accused the victims of his
government's thuggery and lawlessness as the one's who provoke the inhumane
treatment meted out to them. As usual for regimes such as his, he tries to
shamelessly revert to their own silly notions of sovereignty and national
independence in a bid to rationalize government initiated terror on innocent
civilians. True to the traditions of other tyrannies, Sedat Jobe wants the EU
or the rest of the world to refrain from calling them the evil that they are.
He  even went as far as saying his government ought to be commended for
countenancing a bail for Lawyer Darboe and his supporters on the ridiculous
charges they have trumped up. Knowing fully well that he cannot take issue
with the facts and premise of the EU statement, he tried to blame the
severity of the tone on the EU representative . Has Sedat Jobe gone mad? What
does he expect the diplomat to do? The EU is not at all interested in being
in the good graces of a government as manifestly abhorrent as his. They are
running a brutal dictatorship and that is what is going to be reflected on
assessments by people who are sent by sovereign entities to do exactly that.
They had a similar attitude when the US State department also released a
devastating report earlier this year. He also tries to blame the opposition
for their tarnished image overseas. My only regret is the opposition is not
doing more to alert the international community about the endless atrocities
this government is committing on a daily basis. We must redouble our efforts
to further ensure the isolation of this rogue and criminal government at
least through the very limited time the people of Gambia have to suffer their
misrule.
      Sedat Jobe for his part is your quintessential African who inspite of a
fine education, would do anything including rationalizing murder, abductions,
torture and even forment chaos if  he can personally benefit from from such
evil. The only thing driving his incessant defence of a regime he clearly
knows is destroying our country and subjecting our people to never ending
cruelty is a strong desire to get money and privileges. To that end no cost
is too high for the likes of Sedat Jobe. He will go to his grave an
unfulfilled man regardless of all the material gains he is angling for. That
is true for all crooks and men than that engage in the perpetration of evil.

Karamba