GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 16:13:09 +0000
Sidebeh, you struck a chord here.  The silence of Gambians these days is
bourne out of the situation that the NADD leadership or lack there of, has
placed Gambians.  They have essentially held us hostage with their thousand
very poor excuses for doing nothing but to indulge Yaya in his games.  I am
sorry, but this banking on an illegal journey dictated by Yaya is the worst
thing they can subject Gambians under.  They said they do not want to be
part of any demonstration as if that is illegal, but decided to "ask for
permission" to hold a rally, and strange of all, they really expected to be
given the green light to meet with Gambians.  When we read in history books
that certain peoples were ruled against their will for thousand years, I can
now see how that can uphold, for the very people that have the power to
liberate themselves are the very ones that emasculate their populations by
their stubbornness, wrapped in fear, which is also wrapped in the arrogance
that "they know what is best for the the people".  This is a people movement
and the people want leaders that will serve them in their constitutional
demands to express their feelings.  Those that are concerned for their
welfare need to stand aside and not impede the onward march of the people.
Where would South Africa be if Mandela was afraid of what the Afrikaners
will do to Africans as they revolted?  What would happen to then Rhodesians
under Ian Smith?  The Mau Mau?  So, why do some of these people continue to
think that they will continue to go against the wishes of common sense, even
when it hit them right in the face?

Now that they denied them a permit to rally, then what, wise guys?  They
deny Halifa, OJ, and Hamat bail, then what, legal luminaries?  They continue
to adjourn their hearings to infinity, then what, visionaries?  And so, it
is a sad day for Gambia and Gambians.  Sad, because in the face of
injustice, the leaders not only refuse to lead, but dug their heels to hold
us hostage.  Why?  Some hide behind the veil that Yaya will shoot all.
Others say they are law abiding, as if a peaceful protest of an injustice is
illegal.  Yet, others say we continue to sensitize people.  In the end, the
suspense continues only to be interrupted by a request for funds to manage
their legal process, their one and only choice, a dead end at that.  So, Mo,
you are in good company.

Chi Jaama

Joe