GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Farage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:07:27 -0500
     Hi Mr. Buharry,

     I wholly and solely concur with your arguments as put forward to the
     whole members of the L and The Gambia in general, on issues pertaining
     to tribalism.

     I cannot but wonder if there are elements agitating for tribalism in
     order to change the system in The Gambia without regards to its
     repercussions on the general populace.

     Having been working with the International Criminal Tribunal for
     Rwanda, prosecuting genocide suspects, I always hope and pray such a
     situation never prevail again in any given nation given the
     testimonies of the survivors.Genocide in short means the elimination
     of a certain ethnic group by another with the aim of wiping out the
     targetted ethnic group. The elements of genocide includes incitement,
     encouragement etc of a certain group to wipe out the other. This is
     due too tribal differences. One tribe aiming to eliminate the other
     for political reasons are in most cases the occurrence of genocide.

     In the tribunal, survivors revealed their ordeals, expressing how they
     loose all members of their families due to ethnic differences. Before
     the genocide Hutus and Tutsis were living side by side in peace but
     immediately when the genocide began all such relationships ceased to
     exist due to tribal differences. For in a tribal war one is not only
     aiming at political opponents but ethnic differences which would spare
     nobody, women and children, yound and old are all targets.

     PS. Note that the definition above is not quoted but mine to simplify
     my explanations.

     Bravo Buharry for a well thought out article.