GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ESSA BOKARR SEY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:57:03 -0800
Sophia,
          Thank you for your intellectual perspective.
           We will continue the discussions because this is a very important topic.
           Essa.

Sophia Ba <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Greetings Everyone

Essa Sey well said, let me add to the discourse that Amharic is another
African language with its own alphabet, which does use 26 letter based latin
one. As for arabic to describe someone who is lierate in Arabic as
illiterate is ignorant and arrogant. There are many arab speakers in the
world. In fact each language that can be spoken and written opens up a
worldview.

Another point for those who are illiterate in the true since of the word,
art is a language which cross all barriers, and to out-reach into the
community, to discuss public health issues, development issues etc art is a
good medium to use i.e performing and visual arts are good mediums to use.

The illieracy problem is Africa's begest impediment for its progress, this
has happen as a delibrate policy of neo-colonialism rooted in willie lynch
1712, How to make a slave. What frightened the slave master more than
anything was that his African Slave learnt to read and write. Why? Because
he could no longer be fooled. Literacy is at the heart of nation building
the Ancient African Egyptians new this when they invented writing, and
Aethiopia which means in greek "the land of the blacks" , was the continent
were the ancient Greeks came to study, the Greek philosopher Homer in 450
BC cited " was it not the lands in Africa south of Egypt that the gods of
Greece flew once a year to feast with the older gods of inland Africa."
(p20 D.Basildon 1990.)

Peace

Sophia Ba.