GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:13:53 GMT
The following message came from a friend. I think it is another chapter of
Mr. Jammeh's scandalous speech at the State House.

=========

Hamadi,
How are you doing? I was surfing qanet and saw this devastating message of
Jammeh's and think it should be shared.
Salam to you

=====================
Jammeh's Warning To Radio Gambia

"There is a lot of complaint about Radio Gambia. All Gambians are
complaining about Radio Gambia. My broom has not yet arrived there, but do
not think it is not on its way. It is on the way. A lot of things you say,
what ought not to be said; in Jawara's era what you would not dare say, now
is what you broadcast."

So said President Yahya Jammeh. He was speaking recently at a meeting with
APRC youth wing members at State House.

"Bilai walai talai, when I'm ready for you, many will forget their jobs. And
they won't work again. You are getting out of hand. I know all of you. I
know the good guys from the bad elements. But let's wait for the July 22nd
celebrations to go past…"If you do not like me, go and attend to your
business. If you do not like the government, shun everything government; do
not take even the salary; go and attend to your business. Good citizens will
step in and do the job."

He continued, "wherever you are, if you are not straightforward, know that
your time is not yet up, but it will be up one day. The day your name
reaches me, on that day you will pack, bilai walai talai, however learned
you may be. Bilai walai talai…when I Yahya Jammeh sacks you, the whole world
sacks you."

Degree holders

"Well, degree holders are around among those I have sacked. Up to today they
have not got …- as happened twice before, Jammeh here uses the four-letter
word. "Some are even afraid to walk the streets, even with all their
learning. Bilai walai talai…if I sack anybody in this country, you go to all
the four corners of the world, you won't find even a job, bilai walai talai.
"You find out. I do not sack someone just for nothing. And when I dismiss
you, you know from that day on that your world is destroyed. Whoever I
dismiss, you know your world is completely destroyed. Because you did
something; you betrayed the nation. Whenever you betray this country, when I
sack you, you become God-forsaken. Therefore, let us beware!"

Fitna Kafo

"Whoever, wherever you are, stay away from FITNA KAFO" – what president
Yahya Jammeh has characterised as groups or gatherings of people prone to or
engaged in trouble-making.

"Because what we intend is that whoever wants trouble, we too are prepared
for trouble."

"This," he told his audience, "is the sort of language some human beings
understand; so you deal with them in this fashion."

"If you want peace we will give you peace; but if you want trouble we put
masibo (disaster) on you. So if you do not want masibo, keep away from
trouble; do not go near it. If you go near it, you will see what befalls
you."

'Hypocrites'

Jammeh said the hypocrites have said that after the recent APRC and UDP
fight (near Basse in URD), in which the UDP allegedly killed an APRC
militant, the government must not put its mouth in the matter – should not
interfere or get involved.

"These people went, seized an alkalo and beat him up, and left him for dead.
The white people went up to the place. Up to today they have not said a word
about that incident. With all their hypocricy, and talk of human rights,
they have not said a word. We know their hypocrisy!"

"Now they say, the APRC-UDP have fought; an APRC member was killed; the
government must observe the rule of law."

"In a UDP-APRC tussel and the APRC decides to go in for a real fight - the
next time there is trouble, the whole world will see what happens. Bilai
walai talai…such nonsense is over. We ask all Gambians to take note," he
vowed.

At this point, president Jammeh told the GRTS staff present to cover the
meeting that "you must broadcast all that I have said. Whoever cuts anything
out, tomorrow you will forget your job!"