GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 07:22:37 GMT
OUSAINOU,

I hate to burst your bubble of excitement at Hamadi's apparent integrity in
laying out what the Jawara Administration did wrong.
I understand that you did not mean to trivialise the severity of ya! ya!'s
tomfoolery and that you just wanted to point out the other past evils.

I agree that during Sir Dawda's administration, some mistakes and severe
errors in judgement were made. And even though he did not play an active
role in most or any of them, his sheer passivity rendered him an aider and
abbetter.

I too was impressed with the method and construct of Hamadi's response, but
I fail to understand how Sir Dawda taught Ya! Ya! to make the same mistakes
or commit more severe crimes and take jurisprudence hostage to guarantee
impunity. The value of a human being or life itself for that matter is the
experience of past mistakes and their rectification. Be those mistakes your
own or those of your bretheren. Are we doomed to repeat past mistakes in the
Gambia? I would hate to have a bloody civil war rought by tribalism in the
Gambia.

I think Abdoulie Wade is aware of atrocities committed by Jawara because
even though he was not in power, I have the utmost respect for his
experiences and capacity for deductive reasoning. So how about letting him
make his own judgements regarding the contents of the letter. C'est mieux
critiquer que faire.

If Jawara killed someone or participated in the killing of any Gambian, then
he must answer to charges of murder which must be brought by the concerned
parties. Likewise Ya! Ya! must answer to crimes of murder. Presidency is not
a good enough excuse for the murder of an ordinary citizen and therefore it
must not grant implicit immunity from prosecution.

Cheers!!!