GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:31:02 +0000
November 14, 2002
Posted to the web November 14, 2002

Banjul

The mass arrest of unwanted beach users otherwise known as 'bumsters', is a
cause for concern .

Much as we agree with the elimination of all threats to our much cherished
tourist industry, we equally beg that care should be taken by the security
personnel currently doing the exercise. Their job is a delicate one needing
maximum level-headedness to avoid harming the overall good in the process of
weeding out the rot in our industry.

The security forces must show professionalism in dealing with these
'bumsters'. High-handed approaches like brute force, is not desirable and
should only be the last resort. If there is reasonable suspicion that they
are up to no good, they should be arrested gently and led away from the
prying eyes of people or public places and be interrogated based on the
charges against them.

We must also consider that the mere presence of heavy security can dampen
the atmosphere of a normally exciting night life which some tourists like
enjoying in The Gambia. Most tourists appreciate the trouble taken to
protect them but others would be easily scared at the very sight of a
uniformed man.

A tourist who intends to partake in the daily lives of the people of our
country would also be deterred if there are scenes of uniform men chasing
people all around.

We have no doubt that our security forces are mature but much more restraint
is asked of them in this bumster issues.

After all, with the exception of notorious drug traffickers, there are some
genuine, honest bumsters who cultivate true relationship with the tourists.

The hotel workers and tourist taxi drivers would tell you that not all are
bad. But then how do you find out? Certainly not from their shabby
appearance and dreadlocks.

That is why all the more, the authorities should know that the menace cannot
be wiped out so easily. It has been an entrenched past time and curbing it
requires a gradual approach, using persuasion, re-orientation and only as a
last resort, force where neccesary.

They must be made aware of the sensitivity of the bumster issue, not least
because of the brighter side of it.

Many would argue that bumsters, that is those successful, have helped
improve the lives of their families and communities. As long as it did not
get out of hand, most people would not mind young people following the
'Toubabs'.

Make allAfrica.com your home page